Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

First Gig with new Band

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by ldiezman, Feb 22, 2002.

1. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    So I had my first gig With my new band last night. we played in front of about 400 people... well.. We did our on little version of I will survive to get the crowd excited because this place tends to have people who don't care to listen...Well For one thing I am playing with an excellent guitarist.. he is a jazz guitar major and he loves some rock and or Roll ;). I don't really like how they run sound.. so This guy just happened to have his peavey tnt laying around So I hooked my nemesis up to that and had some massive sounds.. didn't even need to run through the PA. Well we started off just me singing.. I'm singing down about 1 1/2 octaves just because I am a basso... they seemed to like that.. then we stopped.. and ripped into this loud funky I will survive.. we got the biggest standing ovation after that song... No one was sitting.. not to mention that My guitar player solos better than anyone i've ever heard.... He is extremely fast.. good lord.. I mean I guess that is to be expected from him :)

but it was great...

oh almost forgot the best part
    5 minutes before I was supposed to go on, I was playing my bass and My G string broke... while I was taking it off, it slipped and sliced a huge gash in my ring finger on my plucking hand.. i said "its allright its not bleeding" and as soon as the words came out of my mouth.. blood went everywhere.. not only that I didn't have my extra set of strings with me,, they were in my car and my girlfriend had my car... So i just took this kids string... with permission off of his bass... i eventually stopped bleeding.

peace,
    Jim

2. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
  3. sounds like you had a good night
    good luck
    frank

4. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    yeah so far the response has been great. People I don't have been comming up to me saying how great it was... i don't know most of these people.. its kinda nice ;)

5. 400 people nice crowd for a first gig where did u play

6. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    Its a coffee house.. but this really isn't a coffee house.. it has 2 big rooms.. one is where you get your coffee food etc.. then the other is a really long room where the stage is.. really kinda nice.. Most of the people knew me from my old band.... But I really don't think they expected what we had in store for them.. THe more I think about it the more i realized how we rocked it so hard. It was loud it was funky.. very tasty groove that night :)

7. A memorable night, by the sound of it! Hope you have many more like this.... that is apart from the gashed hand and the broken string!! :)