1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

First Gig with New Band

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by 98dvl, Sep 16, 2008.

1. 98dvl

98dvl

Jan 31, 2002
    USA
    So, I just made the move to Austin from Detroit on August 2nd (pulled into town that night). August 5th (or 4th?) I met up with some guys (and a gal) I found on Craigslist. I was thinking I'd see if I could get into a band after getting down here, but seeing as how it's the live music capital of the world, I figured it might be a while before I found something I liked, and much longer before we'd even start gigging.

Things sorta clicked right away. And these guys had played a few shows in the past (with their old bass player), so they were ready to start playing out ASAP.

We pulled about 20 or so songs together and had our first gig with the new lineup (ME!) September 6th (just over a month after our first practice).

The name of our band is Exit Wonderworld... Our singer wrote all of the songs (except the Guitar Man and Last Kiss cover).

Anyway, thought I'd post the link to our Youtube videos:

http://www.youtube.com/user/exitwonderworld

I'd like some feedback regarding a) my playing and b) my stage presence. Keep in mind, I had a cheat sheet on the floor as I still don't quite have all the chord changes memorized (have to make money by working during the daylight hours, otherwise it'd be no problem). First thing I realized is that I'm really boring on stage (even though you can't see me the whole time)... Any tips on how to "look" more enthusiastic (I'm really not a very emotional or animated person to begin with - just ask my wife - but I AM having FUN playing with these guys).

We've got another gig lined up on the 26th, at a place we all are really looking forward to playing at (Cedar Street Courtyard if anyone is in the area and wants to come say Hi).

Thanks!

Also, if anyone's interested... I was playing through an SX P/J, GK 800RB, and Ampeg 4x8.

2. NWF Bassist

NWF Bassist

Aug 1, 2004
    Killakee
    alot of things work different ways for different people. I was the same way 7 years ago when i started playing with my band. I personally like to jump around and actually dance with my bass for the most part. It's really about what you feel comfortible with.

3. Dogsferatu

Dogsferatu

May 22, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Welcome to Austin! You will find that Bassists are in high demand here... Exit Wonderland is a wonderful group, congrats on landing that gig!
    Give me a shout if you want to hang out or have questions about Austin (been here for 18+ years)....
    As far as stage presence, it'll come just give it time... Once you get comfortable with the band, the music will bring you out!

:bassist: