Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

First gig with new rig......AWESOME!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MJ5150, Feb 21, 2005.

1. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I finally got a chance to play a gig with my completely redone bass rig. I went from a Spector with an Eden Metro to a MIA Fender Jazz, Genz Benz Series 2 amp, and an Epifani T-112.

Just as soon as I started doodling and warming up for the gig, my guitar player commented how awesome my tone was. He said my rig had never sounded better. He said the notes sounded crisp, clear and true. I agreed. This Epifani cabinet is unreal! Man, it is awesome. The Fender is also amazing. The little GB amp held it's own, and did a good job.

I am completely sold on Epifani cabs. Aww man, these cabs are IT! I will never own anything else. Well, I shouldn't say that. I'll most likely try out other cabs, but I am always going to have an Epifani cab to gig with. I was a doubter for a long time, now I am a Epifani guy. Nothing else for me...

Once I get the practice room cleaned up, I'll shoot some pics and let y'all see the new rig.

-Mike

2. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    Australia
    Hey congrats on the new cab!! I bought a 410UL without even demoing it because I needed a new cab so bad and I wanted something good, and man oh man it is the best thing I have ever bought for my basses. It can pump out a low B so loud and clear. Love it. WOO!

3. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    Glad to read that. Aside from tone, the volume was fine?

4. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    And so it begins... :p

Congrats!

Tom.

5. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    For me, the volume was more than fine. The GB does 250 watts. I had the volume on the GB at almost two, maybe a hair under. The volume on the bass was about 1/4 of the way up. It was plenty loud. Just for fun, I cranked it up. It was really, really loud. I also put the rig on top of a table to experiment with the whole cabinet coupling with the floor phenomenon some guy swear by. It did sound better off the floor. This may have had to do also with the fact that we played on a raised platform. The area we play in is raised up from the rest of the building by about 18".

-Mike

6. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Are you saying that the Epifani T-112 beats the Avatar 2x12? I can see it sounding a little better, but it certainly can't be louder. Is the Genz Benz head new also? If so, what were you using with the Avatar?

7. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I have never owned or played through an Avatar 212, what I had was an Avatar SB112, which is a great cabinet. Regardless, I would have to agree with your sentiments though. The 112 Epifani wouldn't be louder than a 212 Avatar.

The GB amp is not brand new. None of my gear is brand new. So that I can afford this stuff, I buy it used.

I did not have a chance to gig with the Epifani and Avatar side by side. I did play them in my den together. The Epi is superior, which I think everyone knew anyway. Does the better quality make it worth paying the extra for the Epi? To me, it does.

-Mike

8. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Here it is.......

[​IMG]

9. remo

remo

Jan 15, 2005
    how does it go volume wise in a full band? could it handle a 50-100 people gig with no PA support?

btw, looks sweet man! and more importantly.. EASY TO CARRY :p

10. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    For those who do not know, allow me to explain my gig situation. I play a coffee house gig. We provide background music. Our band is not the main attraction, and it is not our intention to rock out and get people to buy beer. People can have conversations sitting across from each other without screaming at our gigs, which is what we want to happen.

I have zero volume issues with this rig, and I have no PA support. I have no doubts in my mind that I am plenty loud enough in my current gig. We play a room with a 20' ceiling in it, and we average 60-75 people at any one time. Could this rig hold up as is if we were playing loud hard rock? I have my doubts. I did crank it up a couple times just to see what it could do, and I think it would do OK with one guitar and a smart drummer. I wouldn't show up with this rig to play a bar of 200 people doing AC/DC and Metallia covers while cometing with a couple half stacks. I know it can be louder than I need it to be, which is a good feeling. Almost as good as having that Epifani. :)

-Mike

11. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    Given the size of your setup, I would say that you have an outstanding little rig there. If need be, adding an extra cab would be all you really need to grow your sound.

Good for you. Nice little set up.

12. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Yes, very nice looking, tidy rig! I bet it sounds great!