1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

First gig with no cab... SansAmp BDDI or Trace Elf?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by armybass, Nov 27, 2018.

1. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    Got a gig that I’m thinking of not using a cab on tomorrow night. Thinking of either running my SanAmp BDDI or my Trace Elliot Elf with a like to the FOH and relying on my IEM’s. I know this is the 21st Century but I’m somewhat stuck in the past. But tomorrow would be logistically much easier for me if I just cary my bass and a DI/amp. I’m gonna bring both, just wondering if anyone would suggest one over the other for any reason?

saabfender likes this.
  2. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Supporting Member

I don’t really know but SansAmp has been popular and used for such purposes with apparent success

armybass likes this.
  3. svtb15

svtb15 Banned

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig. Q+
    I do many gigs with just IEMs.. Large/ huge rooms to churches.
    If I am familiar with the gig/ situation and band i can go only IEMs. If it something that i am unfamiliar with such as a band or monitor situation I bring a small combo .. .My Mesa walkabout 112. Just in case the IEM isn't happening. I can still hear OK. That's just me...
    But I have used my REDDI DI all by itself and a Sans Amp on other IEM gigs with great success.

armybass likes this.
  4. hbabels

hbabels Supporting Member

Jul 26, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    I’ve had great successs with Sansamps direct to FOH & IEMs

saabfender, svtb15 and armybass like this.
  5. Elf has more EQ flexibility.

BDDI has touch sensitive overdrive but it's hard to set just so ime.

I have not played on an Elf but I believe it can can be set to warmed up drive pretty easily.

saabfender and armybass like this.
  6. Pulverizor

Pulverizor

Jun 14, 2018
    New Zealand
    Is there a cab sim on the Elf?

7. armybass

Jul 19, 2001
    No there isn’t that I’m aware of.

8. svtb15

svtb15 Banned

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig. Q+
    No.. But that would be a great feature

9. StyleOverShow

StyleOverShow Still Playing After All These Years Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2008
    Portland
    I like the ambiance bass sound from an onstage cab, but traveling light would be great.

The weirdest gigs i’ve played are with electronic drums and only stage monitors. No percussive sounds on stage save the wedges and other monitors. Like walking on the moon....

armybass likes this.
  10. I’d take both. If you use the Sansamp to get a particular tone I’d run that into the Elf then use that EQ to adjust for FOH if needed.

cataract likes this.
  11. -Kramer-

-Kramer-

Dec 9, 2003
    Charlotte, NC
    I have been running my Tech21 FlyRig (with Sansamp engaged) direct with no amp and having great results. To be fair, I tend to 'set and forget' my amp settings and change my tone on my L-2500.

armybass and BrentSimons like this.
  12. n1as

n1as

Mar 29, 2013
    Before the gig try both in your IEMs. With no speaker sim in the Elf you might get too much highs and lows in both the IEM and the house. Give it a try ahead of time. Try it while you play along with a recording so you're hearing the bass in some sort of context.

armybass and BrentSimons like this.
  13. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Bddi if you want dirt, either if you don't.

armybass and Manticore like this.
  14. Manticore

Manticore

Feb 27, 2016
    SoCal
    Either should be fine. Be aware that as this is the first time out without a cab, it will be different. It may even be a tad odd or disorienting. It takes a little bit of time to acclimate to a new paradigm.

armybass likes this.
  15. armybass

Jul 19, 2001
    Used the SA BDDI and it was fine. I did not have time to really try and use it with the SA engaged due to a rushed sound check and trying to get used to the IEMs and the program Used to set the levels. The sound with the SA as a DI was ok but I hope next time I can try to work with the SA a little more. Then maybe I can give the Elf a shot.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
  16. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    Czech Republic
    That's what I would do...

armybass likes this.
  17. armybass

Jul 19, 2001

Yes I don’t think I’ll go ampless again unless the logistics warrant it. When we were done and started tearing down they asked for and got an encore and I had already taken my ears out. Had to go ampless and earless and couldn’t hear myself in the house. That was kinda sucky.

18. saabfender

saabfender Banned

Jan 10, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I like having something there as an on-stage vibrator, if that makes any sense.

Also, the other night, there was some wicked interference noise in my IEMs that was almost more than I could deal with. I was very glad to have an actual amp there.

I wonder about the percentage of people going ampless on stage yet bring a backup bass.

19. Uche_bass

Uche_bass

Jul 31, 2017
    Argentina
    Recently the elf replaced all my pedals... Need an amp? Elf + cab. Need a DI? Elf. It goes in the gigbag either way

Pontiac Thrasher and Zbysek like this.