Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

first gig with SUB

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by xcental34x, Sep 6, 2004.

1. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    I played the largest venue for local bands last night, and it was the first show with my new Teal/Active SUB. I must say this bass is a God send for us pick players who don't have all the cash. The looks aren't exactly to be admired. But once I got to start sound checking, and got plugged in, just felt amazing to have that Stingray tone. Throughout the gig I would just pause to hear the bass blend in with the rest of the band, and it really surprised me. I'm definetely glad I got this thing.

~Patrick

2. ApeIsHigh81

ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    CA
    Good to hear Pat. As long as you like it, that's what counts. All these opinion buffs around here could go on for days about what they think is "better" but they're not you so :spit:

3. Sub's do sound good, but I'm not much a fan of painted necks(just doesn"t work for me).
    glad you like your sound :) you can't go wrong with a stingray-sound

4. :D

5. vacman

vacman

Mar 8, 2004
    portland, or
    MM rock and am glad the gig went well :D

6. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Can we please have a thread about MusicMans without the mentioning of Warwicks. Yeah. We get it. You love Warwick. :scowl:

7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I removed the two off topic Warwick posts for you. SUBs are great values for the money.

8. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    I finally found that pick tone that I've always wanted. Strangely, the key was dead roundwound strings, after leaving my bass out in the car for a whole day in the heat.

9. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    Played a few SUBs at GC last week (passive and active 4s, active 5, 3-band Sterling model) and I was very impressed. I actually liked the passive 4 the best--I had a 3-band 'Ray I struggled getting a warm tone from for years, and the passive SUB delivered it in spades slapped, plucked, and picked. Loved the feel, construction, playability too, didn't have a problem with the painted neck. These are an excellent value new ($650-$750) but if I got one I'd probably wait to find a deal on the right used one.

10. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    I feel like i'm the only one on earth that doesn't like subs. Though if you liked it then, i'm happy for you.

11. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    i actually preferred the subs ive played to the bongos

12. I have a 3 band 'Ray.
    I want to get a passive SUB for using a pick and to alter my tone from my "one trick pony".

13. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    Don't do that, if you can avoid it. You'll mess up the neck.

14. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    xcental34x,
    Did you think your SUB with stock pickup and preamp is overly bright? Maybe it's me....I've got the black 5 string version and I love it "now". I had to replace the parallel wired pickup with a series wired SD basslines and I'm "there" as far as the fingerstyle tone I hear in my head. I just thought the stock pickup/preamp was WAY too trebly. All in all....a damn good player and now I've got it sounding the way I want it. I get comments on my tone at almost every show now. Looking forward to hearing your opinion on stock tone.
    Thx,
    -Bazz-

15. Beammeup

Beammeup

Oct 7, 2002
    Denmark
    Hi,
    I'm glad you like your SUB.

I myself is the proud owner of an EB/MM Sterling bass.
    - I like it a lot :bassist:

16. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    No, I didn't find it too bright, as in harsh, but for a good pick tone to blend in well with my band, it is. Thats how all MusicMans I've tried are. If it were to have a 3 band eq, I would simply turn down the treble, but I, for some crazy reason, always turn the eq all the way up on my basses with only 2 band.

17. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I'm the same way with a 2 band preamp. Cool....glad you like your SUB. They got a few bad reviews or opinions (totally unwarranted in my opinion) because of the painted necks, textured body, 2 band eq etc. I think alot of people were trying to make a direct comparison to a Stingray which is unfair in my opinion. Enjoy it! I'm off to practice mine right now before rehearsal tonight.
    Later,
    -Bazz-