Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

first gig with the Sadowsky tonight: Holy Mother of God!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by AJ Love, Mar 21, 2004.

1. AJ Love

AJ Love

Oct 8, 2002
    Madison WI USA
    took the Sadowsky on the gig for the first time tonight. Good lord that is an amazing bass. if I wasn't convinced already before I sure am now

cut through the mix? how about owning the mix :cool:

tone up the ying yang. such an easy bass to play...I have been impressed playing this bass woodshedding at home, but on the gig this thing smokes

I have to say that this bass is easily the best bass I've ever played, by some margin (better than the Elrick, better than the Fodera, better than Fender Custom Shop)...now I will add that I realize its the best bass FOR ME personally, not to take anything away from those other great manufacturers

one thing I realized tonight with this bass is that I can lighten up my touch alot and that the bass sounds even better that way...

anyways, I know I am preaching to the choir here, but just wanted to comment as I am literally flippin' to how amazing Roger Sadowsky is. Thanks to everyone who posted here before about their Sadowsky basses, I've been reading your comments, and it helped sway me to my dream come true bass

GASS'ing up for Sadowsky #2 someday (and a better amp)

2. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Congrats on finding a bass you love. Looking at your past basses in your profile this one seems like it's pretty different from your old stuff. Would you say you are more of a "Fender sound" guy?

3. AJ Love

AJ Love

Oct 8, 2002
    Madison WI USA
    I'd say I am more of a Sadowsky sound guy :cool: ... but yeah I do like the tones that Fenders get but I never played a Fender thats cuts through the mix like a Sadowsky (doesn't mean they don't exist, or that it isn't merely just my perception)

the best Fender I ever had was a Custom Shop Custom Classic bass. I really think those are great basses (Bass Northwest has a used one right now for $1299, a screamin deal imho) but it didn't quite the playability (for me) as a Sadowsky or a Fodera or an Elrick, I sold it to my bass teahcer... and (for me) the Fodera didn't have the tone of a Sadowsky (in fact towards the end I was running the Fodera through a Sadowsky pre-amp). I liked the Elrick alot, but the 35 inch scale threw me. But still, I took the Elrick on a gig and it didn't sound as good in the mix as this bass, in fact my band-mates all commented on how much better the bass sound tonight

all that is just my experience and perception. But yeah I am really happy (relieved is the better word) to finally find the right bass for me, its been a long long time coming

4. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

You had a Victor Wooten bass right? You do realize that if you were looking for a Sadowsky sound this is as far away from that as you can get, right? :p Did you ever sell it? It's good to find a bass you like.

5. AJ Love

AJ Love

Oct 8, 2002
    Madison WI USA
    yep, I realize it now :) I was going after a tone that was in my head, which turned out to be the Sadowsky J. yeah I had a Fodera VW Monarch. It was a great bass, incredible playability on that bass. sold it to a Talk-Basser. I would say the Fodera VW Monarch is my 2nd favorite type of bass. such an easy bass to play

6. Welcome to the addiction, brother AJ. :)

7. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    congrats man, welcome to the club.

funny, i thought my V4 could get a somewhat fodera tone.

:)

regardless, i hooked up my "small rig" (qsc plx2402/db659/ht212) last night and played the Modern 5 through it.

GAWD!

that's all i have to say.

f

8. jacove

jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    AJ,

I know perfectly how you are feeling, those sadowsky's just get in your blood. Can't wait to recieive my vintage 4-string, olympic white alder/br.rosewood.... :bassist:

9. Me, too.

Also, my Sadowskys always get a great reaction from my bandmates. They talk about how it "opens up" the sound of the entire band and makes everything cleaner - more than any other bass I've owned. The Nordstrand is a very close second. Any other bass I've owned (Zon, Modulus, Fodera, Tobias, etc) all pretty much sounded the same in a band setting.

Jeff

10. AJ Love

AJ Love

Oct 8, 2002
    Madison WI USA
    :) yep I am definitely addicted. currently scheming on a way to get Sadowsky bass #2... "hmmm if I save $1 a day I could have another one in...9 years?!" nope that won't work, gonna have to speed up the process ;)

there is definitely a reason that Used Sadowsky basses don't last long on the market

11. AJ,

Did you get yours used from BC? I am currently vacationing in FLA, and was headed to Orlando to play it, but I called ahead and found out that they sold it. I guess you're the lucky purchaser. I suppose I'll have to postpone my Sadowsky audition for another day.

Best regards,

Randy