First gig with the Schroeder 'Stack"

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Blueszilla, Jul 11, 2005.

1. Blueszilla

Blueszilla Bassist ordinaire

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City
    Last fall after the Sultans disbanded I went to a local club to watch another band. The GP is a well known player/teacher in town, and just a fabulous player. I hadn't actually heard him in several years and he has just gotten better. I gave him my card and said if he ever needed a fill in, to give me a call. Well he called Sat evening about 5:30 to say his bassist called him and said he was 'too tired' to make the gig that night at 8:00 and they needed someone quick. Since I was home doing nothing, and I wanted to play with this guy, I said yes, I'd help them out. This gave me the opportunity to use my 1210 and mini 12 together for the first time in a working situation.

Anyway the gig was an hour away and I make it there with20 minutes before we start. It's a house party out in the cattle country (GREAT sunset!) and we set up in a 3 car garage (doors open), lots of space for partying/dancing.

The set list included blues and rock stuff, most of which I already knew. We go over a few original pieces right before we start, and they're easy so I'm feeling confident and relaxed.

We start and within 20 seconds the drummer and I are locked in on a funky groove and the singer and GP look at each other and smile. the rest of the evening went unexpectedly smooth, only one or two minor issues. At the break the drummer tells me, "Man that's the tightest we've sounded, and that includes with our regular bassist whos been with us for 3 years." I could feel my head starting to swell. I know I can get better with some rehearsals with these guys, y'know get the material down solid, but I hold my toungue, as for all I know this is a one time deal.

We finish up and all of them thank me and rave about the rig, what a great sound, fills the room without being too loud. I must say I was really happy with the tone. So the singer/guitarist (leader and booking agent) says how pleased he was with my playing, and offers me another gig with them on July 30th at a club 2 minutes from my house. Bonus!

I lke the band and the material, so I'll just have to wait and see what happens. Just wanted to share some positive news. What happened to you this weekend?? :p
  2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
  3. Blueszilla

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City
    Tanks James.

Forgot the specs on the rig. I'm running the iAMP 800 into Schroeder cabs, a 4 ohm 1210 and an 8 ohm mini 12. Nice and simple, but loud, proud and talks to the crowd!
  4. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

Very cool, and I share your enthusiasm for the Schroeders. I wish I had a few more gigs on BG so I could use mine more.

Me, this weekend? My new band's first paying gig, at a winery. The guitarist and I have been doing duo stuff for the last year, so adding a drummer's not a huge leap. We had another Talkbasser, 4Mal, sit in on bass for a whole set, since it was a 5 hour gig. He played a little guitar as well. I'm gonna need a sub sometimes, and happily I've found one, right here on TB. :cool:

The gig went well, and we got a couple of choice festival opportunities as a result too. Hope you keep the momentum up. :bassist:
  5. phaneo

Mar 14, 2001
    Fort Worth TX
    Dude, you're making me nervous. I'm going on vacation in Sept. and our drummers old bass player is going to sit in for me on a three day gig. He's supposedly played with Norah Jones and is an increddible bass player. Plays a 6 string bass, and studdied music his whole life, yada yada yada. I guess this will show the true character of the guys in the band. :meh:
  6. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    That's an awesome story. If I were the guitarist, I would have offered you a full-time job right after the gig, because the "too tired" guy's ass would have been fired immediatley. Though I suspect that the guitarist told you that the bass player was "too tired" as a euphemism; he probaly didn't really want to go into the REAL reason the bass player couldn't have made it (which could have been anything from him being too strung out to play to being in jail *LOL*).
  7. Blueszilla

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City
    The guitarist from this band called me last night and wants to meet with me. They want me to become their regular bassist. I have been working with a new project, more jazz and standards (Y's Guise in my profile) and told him I wanted to keep doing that, and he says no problem, most players around here are in more than one band. They work 2 or 3 weekends a month, which is just perfect for me.

I'll meet with them on Sat. Wish me luck!
  8. that's awesome! good luck.
  9. Fred312b

Fred312b What if I want to play jazz precisely? Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    yes good luck- although it doesn't sound like you need it- your good playing and professional attitude probably made a great impression on them all. as an aside, my friend's band is called bluzilla - spelled differently but the same idea i guess
  10. Blueszilla

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City
    Thanks for the good karma guys. Turns out I went out of town for the weekend and will meet with Steve and Tony for lunch tomorrow, but I suspect it'll be the same.

I had always wanted to start a band called Blueszilla, I should have done it when I first had the idea. Now someone else has a cool band name. They play blues, right? :D