Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

First gig with the stingray 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ldiezman, Aug 31, 2001.

1. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    So last night I played my stingray 5 in public for the first time since I about it 2 months ago... HOLY CRAP!!! I have never had that kind of sensation run through my entire body like that. It cut through over everything. It was so great... I would just lightly play a my low B and it would shake the floor.. But the mix was excellent so I was not overpowering the rest of the band. Man I loved it. And the turn out was huge. bigger than It has ever been at this place..... I played there last year and there were only 150 people or so. last night there were like 500 people. it was soo amazing... anyway just thought i would share my excitement :)

2. Bass-A-Nova

Bass-A-Nova Guest

Nov 2, 2000
    Cleveland
    Man, that's like my dream axe - I'm thinking about one of those as my first every 5. Do you feel it made a difference in your playing ability? I mean, do you feel it helped you just a little bit? Also, what amps/rigs are you using with it, how much power?

3. LowfreqB

LowfreqB

Nov 10, 2000
    United States
    Bass-a-nova.

The stingray5 (or any bass short of one that comes with a built in C.D. player) will NOT improve your playing. However it will make some players sound more pronounced in the mix. This is good and bad, because if you suck, then your suckiness will be heard better. Likewise if your skills are great, then you will make the people on the dance floor move that much more. IMO its all in the mid frequencies!

4. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    I like it because it is so responsive and the neck is not as cramped as the 24-fret guitars. It's like the truck slogan, it flat out gets the job done!

5. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I love 'Ray 5's. In fact, I'm not-so-patiently waiting for a special order one right now. I have a '99 that's awesome. I'm currently in love with a Jaco Sig. Jazz right now so that's all I'm playing but I'm sure when the 'Ray 5 gets here, I'll be doing major time with it! They're a joy to play and sound flat out great.

6. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    As far as it actually improving your ability to play better... I would have to say that is does not. However, when I hold this beast in my hands I get a sensation of complete pleasure and it just begs me to lay down a tasty groove... But if you aren't good, this bass will make you known.. You get by with a cheap bass with crap pups and no one will notice that you suck. But with The MM Stingray, you cut through like a hot knife through butter so you better not suck. As far as my amp goes... right now I am playing through an eden/nemeis NC 210 combo amp.. Its got 200 watts of power it is plenty... I do want to get and swr Henry the 8x8 eventually and about a 500 watt head or something.... But as of now. i always mic my bass amp and like I said, it has no trouble cutting through the mix. Some fellas came up to me after the show and told me that from the back of the room (about 200 feet back) that my low B was shaking the chairs.... Everybody was digging this one kids.. the nemesis is a great amp imo.. you can't beat the price. good tone and enough power...

7. Bass-A-Nova

Bass-A-Nova Guest

Nov 2, 2000
    Cleveland
    Yeah I know no bass will improve one's playing ability, I guess what I meant was is it a more fun or responsive axe overall, and yours and other's comments on this thread have confirmed that. Sounds like your amp setup is similar to mine, which is a Trace 250 combo, which I plan on keeping for a while. Thanks for the info!