Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

FIRST GIG WITH THE SWR/AVATAR Stack

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by adept_inept, Jan 20, 2006.

1. adept_inept

adept_inept

Jan 9, 2006
    had my first gig tonight with my SWR WorkingPro 400 and Avatar 2x10 Kappa Pro.

I'm in love....

it filled a medium-large room with around 150 people AMAZINGLY, and sounded great with my Ibanez. i was playing full band, with drums, guitar, and vocals.

and i thought i'd have volume issues...

definitely worth every penny. especially since i'm not ready to put out 2k just for an amp.

$900 is a steal for both.

2. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    Congratulations! I'm running an SWR/Avatar setup myself (Mini Mo' pre/QSC PLX 1602/Avatar 2x10 and 2x12 Neos) and while I haven't had the chance to gig with it yet, this is the as close to my "dream tone" that I've ever experienced. I think the Avatars cut just enough of the trademark SWR highs to give a perfectly balanced sound, and make a great pair together.

For $639 including shipping (Dave gave me the original "wait list" price even though my order was completed after due to a move on my part - I can't say enough about their customer service!) these cabs have opened my eyes as to what "good tone" is really about. The price is simply a side benefit - he could add $100 to each price and they'd still be an amazing deal. :D

3. adept_inept

adept_inept

Jan 9, 2006
    seriously, too many people are concerned with a name. i always look at value based upon quality before price. and if i were to walk in blind and start playing, i would still choose my little 2x10. i've never seen a 2x10 handle the low end so well. and fill a room the size of the one i was in.

plus, SWR does rock, regardless of what some people seem to think. they can keep their 2000-3000 dollar amps. i don't have that kind of money. ha

4. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    Just put a 2x12 underneath and that's what I'm talking about.

5. I'm using the 410 Kappa Pro and have nothing but great things to say about it! As I've said in other threads, since purchasing this cab, I've been getting all sorts of compliments on my tone - something that never happened previously.

The Avatar line of cabs really could earn the Best-Bang-For-The-Buck award and more then that, its a GREAT sounding cabinet above its price range.

The thing I like about it, is that it has a natural drop-off below 250Hz, which actually makes your bass sound more defined and less boomy. If you want boomy, its easily dialed in, but I finally discovered that boomy was exactly wrong for my style.

I've probably used it around 5 times live and couldn't be happier.

- Andrew

6. Interceptor

Interceptor Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2005
    Madison, WI
    I've been gigging with a SB112 together with an original issue SWR 350 in an acoustic rock group. Perfect rig in that role. Clear, percussive yet warm. Happy.

Glad the gig went well. A good gig is the greatest incentive to practice known!