First gig... WOOHOO!!

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by cafepurgatory, Jan 12, 2002.

1. Tonight is the night. My first time playing live (for an audience that wasn't REQUIRED to be there) in over 10 years. And only my 2nd as a bassist. Man this is cool. I've even got that whole excited/nervous/jittery thing going on right now, and we don't even play for another 5 hours.

I've really missed gigging.

By the way, anyone in Waikiki tonight, come on by King's Crab ;) :D
  2. WHOA! I never realized people would actually give you money to go on stage and have fun. We went down to the bar and played our set, expecting to do so just for the chance to play in front of people. Next thing you know, the owner comes up and tells us he's going to split the take from the door with us (not to mention asking us to come back and play again). Groovy! I've always played just for the sake of playing. Never actually been paid before. I kinda like this. :D
  3. Wild Bill

Wild Bill

Dec 30, 2001
    Boston MA
    Thats sounds like a good cut. how much did you make? oh and what kinda band are you in?
  4. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Glad to hear it went well.Was there a big crowd?Autograph hounds?Record executives?Groupies?C'mon,we need more details:D
  5. hahaha.

There wasn't really a very big crowd. I think the max capacity for this place is like 65 people. We got $50 to split between the 3 of us so it's not like we made a killing, but it's still the first time anyone has ever paid me to play. The other 2 bands who played after us asked us to set up some more shows with them as well. All in all, it was a good night. Lots of fun.

Oh, and Bill, we're just a rock trio. I can't get any more specific about the genre because I really just wouldn't know how to label it. It's just the music we like to play. To quote a few of the audience members and some of the guys in the other bands, it's "old school rock".
  6. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    The money is definately nice, but that is what it's all about. I think when you lose the fun factor, it doesn't matter how much you're getting paid.
  7. I couldn't agree more. That's why we never even considered asking about money when this gig was set up, we just planned on doing it for the sake of playing. Which is exactly why we'll do the next one.