First Gig

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by fenderbass1214, Mar 3, 2004.

1. fenderbass1214

fenderbass1214 Guest

Oct 29, 2002
    I had my first gig a couple weeks ago. I'll tell you about it now. It was my friends moms birthday. Sounds kinda weird when its your friends mom...shes cool. Anyways, we set up and started out with "Stacys Mom." Everyone seemed to be digging that, and so we moved in next with one of our own songs called "moving on." That went well too, but after that I think his mom drunk a wee bit to much and was yelling at the guitarist to play the national anthem. She had lighters in her hand and started yelling "oh say can you see??" and so on. We didnt really know what to do, so we just moved on into Last Resort by Papa Roach. Yeah we have a wide variety of music. We ended on "La Bamba." All in all we had an ok gig, except for her wanting us to show our country some respect. Also, I didnt expect to get any money but we did make $30 out of it.

:bassist: Thanks :bassist:
  2. cool. There is always a heckler or a "disturbance in the force" when it involves drunk people. you will get used to dealing with em. usually just start playing a song like you did works, before they get a chance to get up on their "soap box" and start dibbling their 5 seconds of fame. Good on ya, hope there are many more for ya.
  3. MMSterling

MMSterling Guest

Feb 19, 2004
    Leicester, England
    Sounds like you had a good time, thats the most important thing. Your right, you have got a wide variety of music under your belt :p.

Best of luck for the future.

Andy :cool:
  4. Lewk

Oct 19, 2003
    Sounds like a good first gig!

I remember my first gig. Hard rock band which is still going but not with my membership, (it's screamo now, apparently). But yeah we had yet to find any "sound" so to speak, but i remember getting up on the floor (there was no stage) and there was about 30 15 yr old kids waiting (all friends of the other members of the band, all my friends didnt come cos they hate rock music, haha) . Anyway so we're going along, and i'm thinking slapping my bass cos i'd only been playing 6 months and i think i'm cool (oh how we learn). anyway we went into one of our final numbers, "mummy, i shot my teddybear" and then all the kids started a mosh pit. my 17 yr old self was very chuffed! i still remember that gig fondly.

good luck with future shows, you can only get better the more you do!
  5. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    I apologize for killing the buzz.... but... Worst. Set list. Evar.

Kudos on the drunk mom.

6. I highly dislike that "Stacy's Mom" Song.

La Bamba is teh stuF h0w3var.
  7. hateater

hateater snatch canadian cream

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    Some friendly advice- change up your set list. I am not trying to put yoru band down or anything like that, but bands that cover songs like that wouldn't last very long I would think.