first gig!

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by old_skool, May 13, 2001.

1. old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    ok, i have a gig coming up on friday of this week (the 18th). this is my bands, let alone my first time ever playing in front of people. its a huge skool function, all three high skools from my area are coming to watch. to top it all off we are following a really good band. i am so friggin nervouse/scared. we have all the songs down but none the less i am really nervouse. can you guys give me any advice? what to expect? anything really. thanks.
  2. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Calm down. Imagine everyone naked!...wait, if there are girls there, that might not work to well!;):D

Seriously, Be cool, be calm. If nessicary, don't look at the crowd. Look at your band. It's just a practice. There are no people. It's all good.

As for advice, make sure go you have either a backup bass, or another set of strings, should you break a string. Have picks handy, if you use them. Don't drink right before the gig (bathroom breaks are SO unprofessional). Have water handy to lube up your vocal cords, if yer using them, or if you get thirsty on stage. Make sure you're plugged into a surge protector (saves a bundle in the case of a power surge...), and HAVE FUN. If it becomes work then it's no fun. GET to play a gig, not HAVE to play a gig; get it?

And, lastly, ( minor thing) I'd say, wear what you want people to remember you by. I mean, first impressions last a life time. Not saying become a mega-rocker, with leathers and spikes, but just dress like like you want people to have a mental image of you. Yeah, it's sad that people remember/judge that sort of thing, but it's true. Other than that, rock on man!
  3. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Hey dude you will be scared ****less the first time no doubt! Ive been playing pro fpr about 15 years now and iam a little nervous each time! But you must remember the first song will never be perfect your first few gigs out so start of somthing simple! Your hands will be giggly and your stomach in notts! So decide with your band on a song that yopu and your drummer can handle well! But you will soon see that after the first song and they cheer you will loosen up a asss load! Its a rush i bet after the gig is over you will feel like you just ran 10 miles! It really knocks you out! The first big show we did was in tulsa i think it was in front of about 700 people and i was freaked! What happend was i went to the bathroom pissed puked and almost shhhiiiittt myself! Then i set myself down on the pot and smoked a cig and got my self in line to kick some butt and had a hell of a great show! You will do great my friend!
  4. You from NE Oklahoma, Eric?? I lived my whole life in the Tulsa area up until I decided to do this whole Army thing.
  5. Lots of good advice given here by Brendan, but i would add a couple of things, when you get up there remeber it's you up there and not them so be a little bit arrogant about it you deserve to be there because your band must be the best, don't ever think that another band is better than you, at least not openly, give yourself a psycological advantage. Finally when your'e up there, Brendan said Rock On, well bloody well rock on mean every note you play, I've always looked straight out at the audience and encouraged them to get into it it's made me look like a right plank sometimes but to me it's part of the fun of playing. Get up and have a blast !

6. Hahahahaa girls at the gigs we will play! My band should be doing its first show within the next two or three months, hard core death metal rarely attracts chicks!

Whats wrong with spikes eh??? I know lots of ppl who wear spikes, would get near 'em ;)

7. ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    relax man, take a chill pill, smoke a chill pill if thats what ya have to do. like someone always says"imagine everyone naked" at least your bass will hide your real feelings, hehehe.
    good luck
  8. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    You from NE Oklahoma, Eric?? I lived my whole life in the Tulsa area up until I decided to do this whole Army thing.

nope iam from the Joplin area! I cant remember what the clubs were called that we played at down there! I know behind the stage at the one i was speaking of there was a wall were there had to be 300 bands signatures there!