First Gig

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by cap, Feb 4, 2002.

1. cap

Aug 8, 2001
    Hickam Hawaii
    :eek: Im Playing my first gig ever on the 15th. Were opening for another band *and somebody got the bright idea to hire a boyband* but im jus kinda spooked bout the end of the band and the other one...were gonna do 1 big ska song stomach is all in knots!!! long does it take for the supporting member thing to process? I sent my money and avatar in on friday nite *hawaii time* and i havent gotten the confirmation email yet so...i'll give it a couple of days:)
  2. How old are you and do you drink? A long time ago my band mates and I decided that nervous gigs were greatly improved with 2 beers ahead of time, no more, no less. 2 is just enough to loosen up without f@#k'n up.

Of course that is a destructive method. Lately I've found that when I'm nervous it helps alot when my friends are up front being idiots or I act like a huge idiot on stage.

Something about knowing that people are laughing about the way I'm acting makes me relax greatly about my playing and therefor be able to concentrate much more on what I'm doing.
  3. cap

Aug 8, 2001
    Hickam Hawaii
    Im 15 and yes..a little bit...not the drunken teen parties...jus a beer or a pina occasional gonna be ok though...cause im not scared of like going on stage...jus the whole...getting the crowd started thing...kinda got not sure how...i'll handle it though...thanks!
  4. I once heard that it's good to imagine the crowd naked :D.

I've had to stand in front of crowds since I was 8 years old, always in front of my school so if I'd do anything wrong I'd be reminded of it forever. Just jump into it, after a while you stop thinking about the crowd (usually after the first applause) and start feeling good about it. Or you can just focus on your bass.
  5. Personally I'm much less nervous if I'm the one naked. When everyone stops looking at you its much easier to play. :)
  6. I know the feeling, man. Played my first gig at age 13....I'm still 13 and on my 5th gig on the 15th too!
    The best way to get over it is to concentrate on the bass for the first song, and then after the first song, you get this kinda wierd will to just carry on playing, crowd or no crowd!

Best of luck, man!

7. cap

Aug 8, 2001
    Hickam Hawaii
    Hell ya man...i have been playing bass since July 2001 and have been a member here the same amount of time...thats why im now helping to pay for this place!!
  8. jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    Go get 'em, tiger.

You'll crush 'em.

Let us know how the gig goes.
  9. Hey Cap, where are you playing? I'll try to make it out.
  10. cap

Aug 8, 2001
    Hickam Hawaii
    Im Playing at the Dole Theaters for Freaky Fridays *sponsered by a local magazine for high schools* this is actually turning into a pretty big thing...a radio station and they want bio's on all of us for print in the mag:D ....that doesnt help my stomach much @ all but...i'll do OK!!