First Gig

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by jonasp, Dec 22, 2002.

1. My band just had our first gig last night. It was pretty bad. We did a show with 4 other bands, which were all punk. We are a rock band. Anyways, we played our songs and all of our timing was off. We were all nervous as hell and the crowd didn't dig us too much. At least we didnt get booed off the stage.
    We would have done better if we had some crowd support. You see, we were playing in a different town. But now, we know what we have to do. We need to have a better stage show and have lots of fun. All we did on stage was stand there and played our stuff. Also, the crowd came to see a punk show. We are a rock band, so that might have made a difference.
    I am pretty hopeful and confident that we will do better on our next show.
    Do you guys have any stories about bad first shows? I will certainly remember this one for awhile!
  2. vegaas

Nov 6, 2001
    My first show was when I was 17 and it was atrocious.
    Our sound system sucked. We were all only 17 and we were really drunk. Our singer forgot the words to half the songs. We lost power half way through our set. The guitar broke a string and walked off stage because he didnt have another guitar on stage. I thought he walked off in disgust, so I threw my bass down, turns out he was just going over to get his other guitar. After that song the guitar player and I got into a heated argument on stage.
    We are all still friends to this day, so we look back and laugh, but when people mention bad first gigs, I can relate.
  3. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    You guys had a walking guitar?! :eek: :D
  4. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    It just goes to show that even bad shows don't hurt you... Learn from it and move on. The next one will be more fun.
  5. Benbass

Jan 28, 2002
    Keep it up. It'll get better. I guess you've already figured out that if the band is pumped it helps the crowd to get excited.
  6. Anytime a rock band plays to a punk crowd things tend to get ugly in my experience. Everywhere from the crowd just hating it to beer bottles being thrown and the band being physically chased from the stage in fear for their own safety.