Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

First gigging stack.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BuiltByBlues, Jan 5, 2006.

1. I’ve been playing bass for a few years now and I’m getting to the point where I am ready to start gigging. I’m new at the amp thing because I’ve mainly focused on basses. Right now I have a little 50watt Peavey. I’m looking to upgrade to a full stack. What I want is a good quality amp with a good quality head. What I would really like is a 4x10 stack with a 15” for lows. I’ve heard that using different heads for the 4x10 stack and the 15” is a good idea for a cleaner sound. Tell me if that’s true or faults please. Also I would like to know if two 4x10 stacks would be better than a 4x10 and a 15”. I’m not picky about brands at all. What I’m picky about is sound. I want speakers that are good quality and a head with full and total control of tones and such. I want to spend under 1,600 if that’s at all possible. If you can list the gear you think is good and why. I’d like to get on my feet so I know what to look for. The sound I’m looking for is a low warm tone. A good example would be the eagles. Well I hope that’s not too much information or not enough. Thanks for looking.

2. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Whats the price range?

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    He said under $1600..

4. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    just an idea, but how about a schro 210-12 with a used GK800rb (or terabouts) head?

should be in the $$$ range, and you can upgrade heads as needed/wanted.

portable and should be loud as hell. you may not ever need to change it too. i dunno.

5. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Sorry, musta missed it. I'd personally go with a Traynor YBA 200 ($600-$650) and a Bergantino NV 610 ($1000) or maybe a Bergie 215 or 425 (a bit less $ than the 610 but still sound awesome, some like em better than the 610). Those cabs would have plenty of low end for just about any application; all 3 cabs are louder and deeper than an Ampeg 810 and I think they sound better.

6. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    USA-Mineola
    Where are you gigging that you would need two 4x10 cabs? I play in a loud classic rock band and in a bar/club type gig I use a 2x10 and a 1x15 and I was thinking of going smaller like two 1x12 cabs.

7. Cougar207

Cougar207

Jun 17, 2005
    St. Charles, MO
    You can hardly go wrong with Avatar cabs. You can get a 410 neo and 115 neo for under $750 shipped. With $900 left over you could get a great head or a pre/power setup. I would go try a bunch of amps and find the sound/features you are looking for.

8. notrt

notrt

Jun 29, 2004
    ...for what it's worth, in the typical barroom/small club setting, one or more well designed, small cabinets being "pushed" with the right amount of power seems to have a lot more sonic impact than a 410/115 or twin 410 stack which is "loafing" because the room (or your bandmates) won't support the wattage needed to make those big boxes sing onstage.

put in other words, two 410's is way too much gun for the average bar gig...

Used Mackie/QSC---200-350 dollars...
    Used Sansamp RBI---200-250
    Used Bergie mini stack---800(and this is high end stuff
    furman power strip---40-80
    used SKB rack---75

Get the picture?

RC a/k/a "notrt"

everything is but some things are more than others...

9. jrduer

jrduer

Jun 27, 2005
    Georgetown, TX
    I play in a classic rock band, using an Ashdown ABM 500 Evo II (575 watts) through an Aguilar GS212 (2 12s and an adjustable horn). This rig has never been turned to full volume (except screwing around at practice), because it's just too damned loud.

I play a 5er, and the 2 12s handle the B string very nicely; a warm, tight low end. There's also a good midrange punchiness that I really like, and the horn just tops things off without being overpowering.

The Ashdown has great tonal qualities, mainly because it has a great EQ section. That, plus the solid state and tube preamps, gives me everything from growl to zing. (How's that for descriptive? :) )

Anyway, I bought the head from American Musical Supply ($799?) and the cab on eBay for $500. You can save some $ by buying an Avatar 212, but since I don't have personal experience with that cab, I can't say how it will sound.

Good luck with your search!

~John

10. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I hope your back is in really good shape. Nothing like a "stack" has ever appealed to me due to weight/space issues. I'd recommend a couple loud small cabinets and a reasonably powerful amp. Think about how much stage volume you really need or really want.

11. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    You do not need that much cab. One 4X10 would be more than sufficient. I am able to do what I need with a 1X12.

12. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    A good amplifier with about 500w of power and a good or two 1x12s is probably all you need for most gigging.

With a $1600 budget you have a lot of really great choices.

New amps you could consder:
    GK 1001RBII (700w @ 4ohms) = $600
    Carvin B1500 (1250w @ 4ohms)= $700

New cabs you could consider:
    GK Neo 212
    GK 4x10
    Schroeder cabs: 1212, 21012, 410
    Low Down Sound bass cabs (custom cabs)

The used market opens up a huge world of opportunities too.

Most of your decision will be based on what tone you like and what you're willing to carry.

Good luck!

13. mobax

mobax Supporting Member

Dec 31, 2002
    New Baltimore, MI
    Used Bergantino mini stack + used Eden WT550. This will go just about anywhere. You can almost carry this rig in a lunch bucket.

14. Hey, That's guys. You have all helped me a whole lot. I’m glad to know I’m not going to blow a chunk of my money on stuff that I will not use or will be too much. I have been hearing a lot of hype about mesa boogie bass amps and all but are they any good?

15. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    The 400+ is one of my favorite amps; the cabs are good if a tad overpriced; the other heads are decent sounding but nothing special to my ears.

16. eots

eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
  17. eosdallas

eosdallas

Jan 9, 2006
    Riverside, CA
    i have the r1000 with a 4x10 and a 1x18. it is more than needed for small venues. i got it for 600 dollars used about a year ago. and its loud. i did several mall gigs, and the amp fills up the mall just fine.
    http://www.carvin.com/products/single.php?ItemNumber=RL1018&CID=BA

if you are more into a poppy or slap sound, i would suggest either the 1x15. the 18 inch sub kinda takes away from some of the bright slap sound. it over powers the 4x10. but overall, its a great amp, and you will have some money left over.

18. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Or perhaps a Bergie HT322 with that head. That would ... how you say ... DOMINATE!