Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

First good bass to get?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jumpingbob, Jan 10, 2004.

1. jumpingbob

jumpingbob

Jan 10, 2004
    Louisville, KY
    I just started playing tabs and by ear about 6 monthes ago off and on with a rental bass. We bought it just to play around with, it was very cheap and poor quality and its a 3/4ths size.

Well Ive decided I want to get much more into playing bass, Ive taken some lessons and gotten a few songs down pretty good and love it, every song I hear now I try to find the bass line.

My instructor mentioned to me that I should probably get a full sized decent bass to continue to take lessons with for a couple years, ive looked and nothings really caught my eye and I was wondering what is a good rock/alternative music style 4 string bass for under 300. The Ibanez SRX-300 really caught my eye, its $249 new, nice to look at, and almost every review ive read has been positive.

Any suggestions / reviews of the srx300 from an owner?

Thanks!
    Ben

2. http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=51773&highlight=srx300

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=44220&highlight=srx300

I found these threads using the SEARCH function. It is very helpful for finding information on topics and basses that have been discussed before.

Personally, I'm not a fan of Ibanez, I had the GSR200 model and it was awful - I failed to get any sort of nice tone out of it, the neck bent, general flimsy construction.

If I had about $300, I'd go for a used Mexican Fender P or J bass, depending on what sound you're after. If you're after a rock sound, then either of those will be fine.

Also, at a lot cheaper (around $120) are ESSEX basses. There is a huge thread on them in here and the general opinion is that for the price they are, they cannot be beaten for value and sound.

Have fun, and welcome to TalkBass! :D

3. mnadelin

mnadelin

Apr 6, 2003
    Kalamazoo, MI
    I agree. If you can't afford a new Mexican Fender Jazz (this is the best bass, in my opinion), you could try finding one used that sounds good and is in your price range. If you can't do that, you can also check out Squier. Squier is run by fender and manufactures their equipment in Indonesia (I think). The quality isn't quite as good, but if you look around, you can find a decent one. I'd personally take a squier over an Ibanez any day. My first bass like that was an Ibanez, and now that I play a MIM Fender Jazz, I can definitely appreciate the difference in quality and character. P-basses are cool too, but they're infamous for having a rather one-dimensional tone, which is fine if you play rock or country. But you can get the same tones, and a wide range of other tones out of a Jazz.

Groove on dude.

4. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Please don't say P-basses have a 1-dimensional tone. And please don't recommend him a Squier, unless he lives where he can't get an Essex.

5. jumpingbob

jumpingbob

Jan 10, 2004
    Louisville, KY
    Thanks for the help so far guys. I really dont understand why some people seem to hate the Ibanez and others seem to absolutly love them, its sending me very mixed signals :rolleyes: I checked out the Fender J bass online and it was at about $400,little above what I want to spend. Theres a closed door sale at a guitar shop near here, im going to go and try and im bure they'll have a fender J bass. If thats not cheap enough then I think im probably going to get the srx300 just for its low price.

Anyone thats played specifically the fender j/p and the srx300 that can contrast?

Thanks for the help!
    Ben

6. K-Frog

K-Frog

Feb 6, 2002
    Camden, AR, USA
    Please do yourself a favor and at least look at this link to the bass page at Rondo Music before you decide. pay particular attention to the SPB-57, SPB-62 and the SJB-62 models. You can't go wrong with any of those, you'll save a ton of money, have a very respectable bass, get very fast shipping, and if you need anything, kurt @ Rondo is very helpful.

For the money, I think all beginners should start with an Essex bass. Many more experienced players are buying them as well.

http://www.rondomusic.bigstep.com/category.html?UCIDs=940496

7. I'd say one of the Essex SJB basses. No offense to P bass players, but J basses IMO are better for rock. Or you could go 50/50 and get the SX SB301 and get a very multi-dimentional tone

8. bluemonk

bluemonk

Dec 17, 2002
    Michigan
    Warwick has a less expensive line called Rockbass that is getting good reviews. The Streamer is going for $350 at musiciansfriend. Since there's no tax or shipping, it would be about the same $$ as the Ibanez. It would be better to get a used instrument, but if you can't find one, think about the Rockbass.

9. Someone here on TB is selling an Essex Jazz bass Here

10. bluemonk

bluemonk

Dec 17, 2002
    Michigan
    Warwick has a less expensive line called Rockbass that is getting good reviews. The Streamer is going for $350 at musiciansfriend. Since there's no tax or shipping, it would be about the same $$ as the Ibanez. It would be better to get a used instrument, but if you can't find one, think about the Rockbass.

11. hey i have a ibanez srx300 and a squier p bass special and they are both decent basses. the p bass is more beefy than the ibanez and seems to have better low end than the ibanez. the ibanez has a really slim neck and a fast board. neither of the basses have very good electronics but i like the tone out of the ibanez better. if i were you i would not choose either of those basses, i would get a essex you savel ike 200 bucks and u get a nicer bass.

12. jumpingbob

jumpingbob

Jan 10, 2004
    Louisville, KY
    Thanks for all the quick help guys. Since I havent really heard anyone talk good things about the srx300 I think ill change the fender J to the first position. The essex looks good but is it as good/better than the fender? I have a cheap bass now and Id like to move up in quality and sound at this point rather than get another decent cheap one.

Ive seen some reviews and pics of the streamer rockbass and I havent seen anyone rate it less than a 9/10, it seems very good. Ayone played one?

Thanks!
    Ben

13. K-Frog

K-Frog

Feb 6, 2002
    Camden, AR, USA
    Most Essex owners would probably say yes when comparing to a Fender Squire, or Fender MIM.

I think the only word that applies to Essex is "inexpensive", not "cheap" or "decent". YMMV

I hate to see people waste money unnecessarily just because they are uninformed.

I don't really "need" a P-bass, but I drool over them every time I visit the Rondo site because I know what a good value they are. At this point I will hardly consider a Fender for my needs.

K

14. Airsick Pilot and I were talking last night and in our convo we brought up the fact that depending on what will suit you best and feel good to you, you could either have a lower quality/inexpensive (hence like SX) bass or a higher quality/more expensive bass (hence Warwick., MM, etc). For example, I was at my cousin's house and played his brand new SR5. While it was all around better quality than my SX and had a better tone, I still felt better playing my SX because it felt right to me, and with the right EQing I can get a sound I want.

Sorry if I babbled there, if anything is unclear feel free to ask me. Peace,

Tyler