1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

First Guitar Build Complete (Pics)

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by drozzy, Aug 27, 2007.

1. drozzy

drozzy

Dec 1, 2006
    Well, it's finally done...

I'm 18, from Australia, and generally make instruments as a part time hobby. I;ve Built/Refinished a few drum kits before, and built a slide guitar, but i guess this was my first foray into something 'real'

My first build, neck through 4 string fretless, reduced weight and highly contoured body, was a prototype for the 'ergonomic' electric bass guitar.

I guess it is slightly more ergonomic, it is very comfortable to play and feels a lot better than the other basses I have played, keeping in mind, I am in fact a drummer.

Specifications are:

Wings: Jarrah/Silky Oak 2 Ply
    Neck: Myrtle/Jarrah/TAssie Oak 5 ply.
    Headstock at 13 degree angle
    Flatwound strings

Has a single DiMarzio Split P Pickup.

I guess there are a lot of thing I have learnt doing this, especially in regards to sanding and finishing practices. The finish is 7 coats of Minwax Wipe On Poly, sanded to 600 Grit between coats.

Onto the pictures:

(I can dig some progress shots out later if it is so desired)

100_0008.

100_00121.

DSC00522.

A drum kit I made in the past:

DSC00460.

I hope you enjoy! All comments and criticisms are most appreciated.

2. contakt321

contakt321

Jul 31, 2006
    New York, NY
    Very cool bass and drums!

How does the bass sound? Do you have soundclips?

3. progress shots please! how much does it weigh? i assume its almost nothing considering the body has been beautifully routed out

4. fingerpicker01

fingerpicker01

Aug 17, 2007
    Nice job, Drozzy. I love the look. My question is one of balance. With the wood cut out of the body, is it neck-heavy?

I would LOVE to get my hands on it.:bassist:

5. drozzy

drozzy

Dec 1, 2006
    I'll upload the progress shorts in a few days when my interent connection isn't shaped, went over my download limit (Hey, we're really behind american technology broadband-wise down here).

If I balance the bass in the middle of the upper right cut out, it doesnt dive at all, stays perfectly level. This is because the Jarrah is an incredibly dense wood, but also has the silky oak behind it to lighten it. So I think I did achieve my task of creating something light, yet still balanced.

My only gripe is the plastic nut. By the time I got up to that stage i was running out of time before the due date, and couldnt afford the minimum $30 spend on an online store. I did however make a mold of the plastic nut, and have made a few Epoxy-Graphite composite nuts, but i am still refining the casting technique.

I will definately post up some sound files. I might get a bassist friend to come round and play it, because I dont know how!

Also - those holes were not routed out, they were done on a scroll saw, when the body wings were still in 20mm plies. They were then drum sanded with a dremel to smooth, and then routed to a curve. Took freakin' weeks!

I'll weigh it when it gets returned from the markers (I am doing an industrial design course at the moment), I also build a lot of furniture and such to occupy my time, better then watching tv and eating i suppose.

Total cost for construction came in at around $400 Aus, thats aid I did already own much of the tools needed, that cost basically includes pickups, timber and hardware.

Thanks for all the kind replies! I am still considering whether to sell this or not... I need the cash, but i feel compelled to keep it... hmm

6. wow! that's awesome!
    it's like a work of art, man!
    looks like we have another luthier in the house!

7. drozzy

drozzy

Dec 1, 2006
    Haha! I wouldn't call myself a luthier, far from it! Just a designer who occasionally dabbles in guitars, despite having no clue how to use one!

I weighed it up, coming in at the 4kg or 8/9 pound mark, it is reasonably light, but still balanced.

Thankyou all for the kind words, much appreciated, maybe I'll do another build in the future!