1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

First Head Acquired! 2 questions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by r05c03, May 2, 2006.

1. r05c03

r05c03

Jul 21, 2005
    Lafayette, IN
    Okay. Do to a poorly worded title I think I did not get the help I was looking for. I have searched for things but I have questions yet. I picked up a Peavey MarkIV on the 'bay. It is 320 into 2 ohms, 225 into 4 ohms, and 130 into 8. The manual states that the best amp performance will come from using 2 to 4 ohm impedance.

First Question: What does this mean? If I purchase 8 ohm 4x10 will I hurt it or the head. At this time I will not have the dinero to get two 8 ohm cabs. Will it be that much better to find a 4 ohm cab?

Second Question: The Peavy IV has Biamping capabilties. Will this allow me to run my Ampeg ba115hp partially powered by the Peavy or visa versa. I really want to be pushing sound through both the Peavy and the Ampeg. What is the best / safest / easiest way to do this.

Thanks.

2. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    First question answer: No it wont hurt the amp. you just will not be getting the maximum power capability of the head. If anything, running it at 8ohm is SAFER for the amp.

Second Question answer: Yes it has a built in cross over. But you would need another amp to run bi-amp capability. so, you can run a 410 off the peavey, and run the ba115hp off the lowpass.

To acomplish this, use the crossover output, and run a cable from the high pass to the power amp input on the peavey. then run the other low pass output to the ba115hp.

3. sedan_dad

sedan_dad Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2006
    Columbus,Ohio
    Oh!

Your talking about a Amp head.

4. r05c03

r05c03

Jul 21, 2005
    Lafayette, IN

Yeah, sadly

Joelb79, thanks. Clear, concise and informative