First high-end bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Chris J, Aug 10, 2002.

1. I bought my first high-end bass. I got it about 3 or 4 weeks ago so. I waited a while so now I know it's ins and outs and can give you an honest opinion on it that isn't clouded by the excitement of new gear. It's a Godin BG4. The neck is bird's eye maple with a rosewood fingerboard. Flame maple top with matching head stock. 3 piece maple body with a rock maple centre and the wings are made of silver leaf maple. The preamp is the SD Basslines STC-3 with the slap contour knob. It also has Basslines pups. Very very nice bass. The electronics are very versatile and sound great. I found that I could get tones resembling a jbass and a pbass but not quite there. I must say that I really like the tone I can get out of it. The strings were great and after 3 weeks of solid use they're starting to fade. The truss rod is really hard to tighten. The guys at the store noticed this too. I'll have to get that checked out. Anyway, I'm gonna try to post some pics. I hope it works.
  2. Another body pic if you care. Slightly different angle.
  3. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Hey congrats. Theres always been a soft place in my heart for godins
  4. Thanks. Is it true that Godin has discontinued this line? They stopped making them with Schaller hardware and EMG pups. The salesmen told me they discontinued this one also for something with a PG and a P+J setup...very ugly btw. Was this just a sales pitch or what? I saw the ones that were supposed to replace this one. I have a feeling those were the low end Godins. Any input?
  5. maxvalentino

maxvalentino Endorsing Artist Godin Guitars/ Thomastik-Infeld

Godin did not discontinue the BG line. To be more exact they "upgraded"; rplacing the EMGs with Basslines (a more versatile setup, IMHO) and the Schaller hardware with more "standard" fare (personally I have always liked the Schaller roller-bridges).
    The finishes have been "re-tooled" having flamed or striped maple caps on the silver leaf maple bodies.
    The "ergocut" technique of beveling the frets and fretboard back inot the neck is also new...and a very "handy" improvement.

I have an older model BG4, with Scahller hardware and EMGs, which I love. But, as a Godin Endoresee, I have played some of the new models, and was very, very impressed with the impovements and refinements. These really are excellent basses...and I congratualte you onyour purchase!
    BTW...the newest issue of BP features a review of the "newer" model BG5....very nice

Godin does have a more "entry-level" geared bass, also. The Freeway. It has P-J passive pus, and more standard finishes and features. It cost much less also. While I do not think it really comes close to comparing with the BG series, it certainly competes with all those other basses in the 500-900 price range.

The BG series, certainly ranks very high for the price. The sound, playability, and features on these basses is up there with basses costing 2 or 3 times as much.
    Good job on your choice....enjoy it!