Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

First impression Model J pups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Mr_McBride, Feb 26, 2006.

1. Mr_McBride

Mr_McBride

Oct 9, 2003
    Acworth, Ga
    I played my first gig with the new Model J's and while the tone is most definitely punchy, it's voiced a bit lower than I anticipated. I guess I was looking for more low mid. This pup has a hyped low end emphasis (this isn't necessarily a bad thing). The low end is much improved over the stock pups, but I like the mids on the stock pups better. I'm going to spend some time working on getting the pickup height and each pole piece adjusted in order to find the sweet spot. These pups sound like they are being played through a tube amp, as the tone is fat like a good tube amp.

These pickups also have a lot of growl if you back off the neck pickup a bit or solo the bridge pickup, especially when you dig in. I found the pickups very responsive to input.

Ok, now for the bad part. One of reasons I wanted to replace the stock pups was to get away from the hum of the single coils. The Model J's are of the split coil design. Following Dimarzio's instructions and wiring the split coils in series did not eliminate/reduce any hum. In fact, these pups hum considerably louder than my stock pups. I just ordered a shielding kit which should help. But in a stock configuration, the Model J's are noisier.

In the end, I hope that the higher output and tone improvements will outweigh the noise once I shield the bass. I can't wait to lay some tracks down in the studio once I tackle the noise issue.

Thanks,

2. Linas

Linas

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago
    i plan on buying a used set for 60$. Do you recomend its?

3. Mr_McBride

Mr_McBride

Oct 9, 2003
    Acworth, Ga
    I think they are a definite improvement over the stock pickups, but that is a personal opinion. If you want emphasized lows then you should be happy with these.

Also, I paid $79 for a new pair.

Hope this helps,

4. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    What bass did you put these in, and what pickups did they replace?

5. Mr_McBride

Mr_McBride

Oct 9, 2003
    Acworth, Ga
    Fender MIM fretless 4 w/rosewood fingerboard. They replaced the stock pickups.