Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

First impression (Nordstrand 5Jst)

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by maurilio, Sep 2, 2005.

1. maurilio

maurilio Musician - Owner at Mo's Shop - Tech at Nordstrand Supporting Member

May 25, 2003
    Studio City+Redlands, CA
    Endorsing artist: Nordstrand - Genzler Amplification - Sadowsky - Dunlops Strings - DR Strings
    Hey there,
    today I went to visit Carey and get the new 5Jst. It is too early for an evalution, but the pups sound good. They took the place of the original one in my Sadowsky MS5. The Sads are very good sounding pups, but kinda scooped, very clean, tho!
    The 5Jst have more midrange presence and warmth.....
    I have a lot of work coming up, so I'll let you know what are my thoughts, later!

Have a bright life

Mo'

2. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Hey Mo'!
    Good to hear you're liking those Nordies and that we were finally able to hook you up! ;) Enjoy.

3. maurilio

May 25, 2003
    Studio City+Redlands, CA
    Endorsing artist: Nordstrand - Genzler Amplification - Sadowsky - Dunlops Strings - DR Strings
    Hi,
    by now I can tell for sure that the new 5Jst are GREAT! The more I play with them, the more I like them!
    They have a nice "vintage-ish" voice, warm, but defined. Less lows than the Sadowsky they have replaced, but a nice burpy mid lows and more forward mids. In some how, they remind me the Bartolini Classic Bass, but less smooth and more bright. Geez, not easy to describe sounds!

This evening I was playing with a '60/'70 cover band and my Sadowsky was the perfect complement for that sound......!

Next it would be interesting to compare them to the NJ5(F)S (spiltcoil)....Carey, have you tried to fit the FS in a regular 3.73", uh? have you tried? uh?..... sorry, just messing with you!!! :smug:

We'll see.

Mo'

4. maurilio

May 25, 2003
    Studio City+Redlands, CA
    Hi, new update!
    this "could" be the answer for those who's looking for something warmer with more mids, without loosing the original timbre in a Sadowsky (and similar).

I think in this way I still have, from the maple/ash, the punch and the clarity for the B string, but with a sound "closer" to a RW/alder. IMHO.
    You can always try, and if you're not satisfy, you can resell the pups. :smug:

The only downside is the lower output, because of the design involved in a stacked pup. Honestly, I don't bother very much, just turn your gain up!

Have a bright life

Mo'

5. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Hey Mo,

Have you tried the sadowsky single coils? I understand they are very simmilar to seymour duncan antiquity II (at least the 4 string version is).

6. maurilio

May 25, 2003
    Studio City+Redlands, CA
    I'd like just for curiousity, but I use to dial in more bridge pup, so no way single, I don't want hum!

Mo'

7. maurilio

May 25, 2003
    Studio City+Redlands, CA
    Today I spent all the afternoon, swaping pups on my two Warmoth/Sadowsky 4 strings. Both alder body, maple neck, rosewood fb and sadowsky pre.
    BTW, the lighter one, with a nice flamed maple top, tobacco burst and brazilian rosewood fb, Sad pre and pups, will be up for sale shortly...
    Anyway, the other one is vintage style, white with tort pg and kinda heavy. I put the new Nordstrand NJ4SV in it and it sounds great!
    Clear and crisp, nice mids and warm lows... yes!...

Thanks Carey (and Jay)!

Mo'