1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

First impressions are usually right and hard to change.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by irishryno, Mar 9, 2010.

1. irishryno

irishryno

Jan 22, 2008
    Alabama
    I walk in one of the four local music shops that I haven't patronized in a while and ask for some flatwound strings. I was taken by surprise when the response was "Why?" instead of "What size and how many?" Being a natural born smart alleck, I responded with "I was thinking of hanging a piano on the wall." I then spun on my heal and left the store snearing at the four overpriced basses that have been hanging on the wall since the last time I was in. You would think they would figure out how to help a customer or try and build some relations with people. I would like to be fair to the place...but I can't. They sucked before and they suck now. I have no idea how they are staying in business. I have seen them bully customers in the past, so maybe thats their strategy. I needed to rant. Thanks for lending an ear..er...eye. I will go back to my regular shop or MF. They, at least, try to take care of me.

2. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    Haha. Good story.

3. jbybj

jbybj Supporting Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Los Angeles
    My theory about businesses like that, who seem to stay in business forever, while doing a horrible job, is that they are money laundering fronts.

Getting your illegal cash into the system is a HUGE problem for criminals.

4. Still- why?
    :bag:
    kidding

5. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    Probably because he didn't have any and wanted to sell his current stock....even if that was the case....it's still pretty lame.

6. Reminds of the time I went to a local music store. I was looking for a jack cup for a strat. I asked the guy at front counter if they carried a strat jack cup. The guy looks up and yells "Fender?" as if I had said a bad word. Another employee does the same thing and then yells that Fender is crap! Get yourself a real guitar like a G&L. So I asked the guy at the counter to explain to me the difference between the G&L part and the Fender part. Nothing but a blank stare as he played it back through his head. I told him he'd been a big help and walked out. Hadn't been back since.

7. Coliah

Coliah

Jun 12, 2009
    when i asked for a set of GHS bass boomers at guitar center, the guy argued with me for 20 minutes about how much better dunlop nickel stainless steels sound
    i mean, after buying a set of the dunlops i realize he was right (to my ears) but still, i'm the customer. it was my money. i don't get people that do this sort of stuff. i only go in to gui**** center now to noodle around on the basses and plague the sales associates with stupid questions :D

8. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    There are people who want to stay in business.
    And then there are yo-yo's like the ones described here.

9. Ilikejazzbass

Ilikejazzbass Inactive

Feb 20, 2010
    In my opinion your just another pain in the butt customer. I deal with people like you all day long my man. Trust me, your not alone. There are millions of "Smart alleck" people in this world and you all annoy me.

10. irishryno

irishryno

Jan 22, 2008
    Alabama
    Well, it is true I'm a smart alleck. I won't deny that, but when I go into businesses I am usually very nice and understanding. I have own a resteraunt in the past and have worked various jobs in retail and resteraunts as the worker and management. I can honestly say I have never been a smart alleck when I was the person dealing with the public, even when I disliked the person in front of me. It was this that lead me to leave the service industry and work as a contractor for a private organization. So to retort your retort, if you hate people, quit your job and find something better suited, cause believe me, your attitude shines thru and its only a matter of time before you say something that will get a smart alleck trying to remove you from your job. thank you for your opinoin though, and I am sorry you deal with people like me all day.

11. TMBTC

TMBTC

Oct 18, 2009
    Milton,Fl
    Where are YOU located.....I'll be sure not to shop there !!!! Or maybe I'll come by and ask you questions for an hour and not buy anything and just walk out.......
    What ever happened to "The customer is always right"

12. XtheDeadPawn

XtheDeadPawn

May 24, 2008
    Texas
    Man I'm glad my local shop isn't like you. Dave Anderson would never say that too me.

Zoo Music takes care of anything I need. I also got a few medical conditions so I'm prone to pauses and mispronounced words now and again and if I got talked too bad I'd 1st hit you in your mouth 2nd leave never to return and finally 3rd I'd tell all my friends never to go there.

I can't tell you how many times over my 3 years of bass playing I've gone to Zoo and got everyone working at that time telling me Hi before I even get in the door.

I bet your place is like a smaller crampt version of Guitar Center.

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 30, 2020