Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

First Impressions: Kustom Groove Bass and Schroeder 1212

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by americanmade, Aug 11, 2005.

1. americanmade

americanmade

Feb 12, 2005
    I acquired this about a week ago, and sadly will not be able to really jam or gig with it for a while as I just had surgery. That being said, I have only heard this setup in my bedroom, though I am usually not afraid to turn it up. Originally, I had the Schroeder paired with an Ampeg SVT classic. I decided the bottom end was far too loose for my liking so I decided to give the Kustom a chance. The second I plugged in with all the settings flat, I knew I had made a wise decision. Comparing the Kustom to an actual tube head, I can safely say the Kustom does hace a tube-ish sound to it, but extremely tight on all four strings. Also, with the volume and gain at less than half way up, I am afraid to go any louder for fear of loosing control of my bowels. I like the sound so much with the settings flat, I have not had much deisre to experiment with the graphic EQ. I'll get to that when I get bored enough, but for now I am happy with the flexibility the three band EQ gives me along with the switches. On a side note, all the knobs and switches feel indestructible and I am very pleased with the solid feel of the head. The pedal feels a little cheap as I have a randall footswitch for a guitar amp that feels about twice as heavy and sturdy. The mute function on it will be extremely useful once I start gigging, but I don't know how often I'll use the boost except when my guitarist solos (probably what it is meant for).
    As far as the cabinet is concerned, I can tell it colors my sound a bit, but it sounds very musical and cuts through well when I play along with a cd (I have not had a chance to try it in an actual band setting). The cabinet sounds much different than what I expected from a 2x12. I can hear it a few feet away but it really comes together as you get further away. In fact, the sound carries through my house quite well and can be heard pretty well outside. I would almost call the sound I get as dark, but the head has plenty of mids to balance that out. I have no concerns about this setup being able to stand up to any bands I have jammed with in the past. I don't imagine I will need anything more until I start playing huge venues, but I will probably buy a 1210 for fun if I ever have enough money. I'm not sure how useful these comments are, but I'm pretty happy with my setup so I felt like writing about it a bit. Thanks to everyone here who recommended the Kustom (Quadzilla comes to mind) and for everyone who commented on the Schroeders. Let me know if anyone has any questions I could help with.

2. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Well in the words of the band The Hives, "Hate to say I told you so" ;) . The Kustom is a great head and low price scares many away. People don't see how you can get an all steel chasis (stainless front), heavy-duty knobs as switches and postive feel on the pots, 1200 watts, killer tone that can do a good job of emulating tube and clean solid state, 2U's and 31 lbs, footswitch, heck, even a nice heavy-duty Neutrik Speak-on cable all for +/- $500. Frankly, I don't know how they do it either, but I'm glad to be a benefactor of it! Funny you mention your Schroeder cab, cause that is my next move (I'm running 2x10 and 1x12 Avatars now).

3. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Congrats on the new rig!!!!!

The GrooveBass is indeed an amazing head at ANY price, but it's just ridiculous how much BANG you can get for you buck with this this. I've had mine since April and I also credit Quadzilla, jp1994, Sutton, and The Clap for their recommendations and insight for this head.

You've got a killer rig there...enjoy!!!!

4. Derakh Djinn

Derakh Djinn

May 23, 2005
    Michigan
    Indeed, congrats my friend, as yet another fellow groovebass'r its good to see more people appreciating this head. I've had bassists from other bands come up and ask me about my setup and as soon as they hear "Kustom" its usually followed by "wow, who made it for you?" and I have to explain its the brand Kustom, not a custom built head. This is usually followed by a wierd look of disbelief and a shrug once they finally come to terms. :D So far I've gigged with mine about 12 times and its working out great. Like Quad, I have mine paired with an avatar 2x10 and 1x12 but the Schroeder 1210 is looking quite nice and would fit a bit easier into my Civic :bassist:

5. ricosuave2093

ricosuave2093

Jun 9, 2005
    Oregon
    I LOVE MY Groove Bass! I ran it at a 2 ohm load for a 2 hour session with an active bass Pre at 12 o'clock and volume near there and it did'nt even sweat! And I have it packed in a 2 space SKB sweet heftie amp indeed now If I could just get rid of my piece o' sh_t Dean I would be so happy. Avatar B410Pro 4ohm to 2 8ohm 15" Toa subs. :hyper:

6. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Man that had to be ear-deafening loud!!!

7. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2005
    Syracuse, NY
    Is there any other deaf, besides in the ears? :p

Sounds like a sweet rig. I nearly purchased the Kustom a few months ago when I was deciding on heads, but hadn't heard anything about it, so I was afraid.

8. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    I woulnd't mind trying out a groove bass with a schroeder 410.

Very good rig you got, even though it only consists of 2 things. It probably isn't that heavey either.

I think I might get a GB head and just go around to my local stores and try out cabs to see what I like.

But again nice stuff!!

-Rob