Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

First impressions: Mike Dirnt P Bass w/ pix

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dirtrider, Jul 30, 2004.

1. So I've had this bass for 3 days now. I've not gotten a chance to use it in a band setting, since we won't be practicing till the other guitar player comes back from vacation, so I'll just point out a few things.

First the workmanship. It's MIM. This bass is light. Lighter than I thought it would be. It's a slab ash body with the exception of the arm contour. The paint job is flawless. The finish on the neck is smooth satin. No skunk stripe. The truss rod adjustment is at the base of the neck. The tuners are open geared vintage stamped Fenders. The frets are finished well. No overhang to snag your fingers on. They are also pressed all the way down. There are no gaps between the rosewood and the bottom of the frets. My only gripes are the pickguard is warped at the upper horn and cable is very hard to put in and remove from the jack.

Playability: The nut is a tad bit narrower than the nut on my crappy Squire P Bass. This neck feels like Jazz neck to me, even though Fender calls it a 'large C shape.' Having said that, the neck is rather fast. Soundwise, it's definitely a P Bass, but the highs seem to be a little clear. The pickups are vintage '59's. Having never played a '59 P Bass, I can't comment on what it sounds like compared to a US P Bass. There is thump, but where this bass really shines is in the upper registers. I guess if you play high more than "normal" whatever that means, this bass might be for you.

Like I said, I've not tested in a band setting, but soloed with my normal settings, the bass exhibited shimmering mids and glassy highs with good but somewhat indistinct lows.

Now some pix. Excuse the crummy lighting. :cool:

3. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    All this did was remind me of Sting's signature bass.

4. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Kentucky
    Well.. maybe, except for the BAII bridge, sweet black finish, and the lack of that GOOFY signature block on the Sting's 12th fret.

5. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    You said it was a MIM but werent seignature models made in Japan???

6. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Some, not all. Check the first three digits in the part number for country of origin.

7. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    After a couple of years it stops bothering you. Really.

Anyway, setting up the bridge takes your mind off of it.

8. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    I love my Sting Bass w/ EMG pickup upgrade :hyper:

9. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Since that came up in another thread about this bass, I looked at some of my instruments (there are nearly forty guitars and basses here) and discovered that this flaw - such as it is - is all but endemic to modern machine-made rosewood fingerboard axes. As I see it, it appears that the tang gets bent when these are pressed in so it bottoms out on one side of the fret, but leaves a gap on the other.

On Fender maple fingerboards, the polyurethane they slather all over everything fills these gaps so you never see them.

I went back and discovered this disgusting situation on some of my favorite axes, ones that show no problems nor fret movement after years of use, so this is an issue of form rather than function, I suppose, at least in most cases.

Fender doesn't seem to regard it as a defect.

Live and learn! Yet another QC issue for smart shoppers to look out for...

10. I think the idea behind the Sting was to 'recreate' a 51-54 P Bass, the Dirnt is creating a new bass using different features of Fender basses.

The big difference here, to me is a neck with a 1.5" nut and a rosewood fretboard as well as the contoured body. The bridge doesn't make much of a difference to me as long as it's solid and intonates well.

Unlike the Sting's Club of a neck, maple fretboard (with goofy signature block!) and slab body.

I really like the idea behind this!

11. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    The Sting was nothing in the wide world but a Fender Japan domestic-market '54 reissue with a cheaper pickup and the inlay added for export.

That's it.

Like most FJ "reissues," the '54RI/Sting is a somewhat interpretive reproduction, with some much-needed rationalizations over the original instrument, such as an access rout to the trussrod screw so you don't have to pull the neck to adjust the trussrod. The pickup is also a reproduction '55, with contoured/balanced magnets.

12. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    The geezer in me is very excited!

This is nothing that some flats can't cure. :)

I want to see what the vintage white is really like in real life. The black doesn't do anything for me. The photographs show a fairly accurate yellowing comparable to my (real) '72, but who knows? The difference between right and wincingly wrong is very slight and Fender gets it wrong so consistently that I think it's probably intentional.

Curiously, this bass is a featured item for August at Guitar Center, but of course they don't have any. I'll probably get one when they start showing up at longer discounts.

13. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Oops, looks like I've kind of hi-jacked the thread. Sorry.

14. This bass strikes me as another "compromise" instrument, like the California Special of a few years ago. I love the idea of the thinner neck and the Tele headstock; my Godin Freeway is similar in that area. The body, with the arm contour, is also a treat, and I like the Tele-style control cavity, and have long been a proponent of BadAssII bridges as required equipment on my Fenders. In short, if I were a bassist toiling away in blues or punk territory, this would be a nice workhorse.

15. The input jack is what caught my eye. Never seen a p-bass without one on the front.

16. you bastard. :D :scowl:

ive played a sunburst, and it looks awesome! i agree about the thump. i only got to play through a mediocre amp, but I really enjoyed the bass. would sound awesome with some used Slowounds me thinks. :)

however, they are VERY expensive here - atm, ($1000+!), and I don't have any money anyway, so i'll be waiting for the price to drop. ;) :(

awesome bass. my only gripe is that the vintage white is cream...
    the black is very jazzy! sunburst is very vintage.
    maple would be prefered for me, tho..

mmm, yum yum yum. :D

17. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
    Wow, I played this bass at guitar center yesterday and the one I played had to weigh at least 13 pounds!

18. man, i was excited about this bass but i finally got my hands on one and it the feel was just not there. i didn't bother plugging it in. looks cool though.

19. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I recently played the Dirnt bass, and I liked everything about it...

...Except the baseball bat sized neck! :meh:

The one I played felt lighter than I expected. I plugged it into an SWR Workingman's head+410 rig and it sounded very good, but the neck was too huge for me.

I also played a Sting sig. bass and a Classic '51 P-Bass, and the necks on both of these basses were smaller than the Dirnt's neck. In fact, if the Dirnt had the same size neck as the Classic '51, I would have bought it...