1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

First impressions of Kolstein Varicores

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by dchan, Apr 5, 2006.

1. dchan

dchan

Nov 19, 2005
    Bethlehem, PA
    I recently (yesterday) put on a set of these strings on my Christopher plywood.

My thoughts? A very good all-around strings. Smooth arco response, especially the D and A strings. A punchy pizz tone throughout, without too much thud, and without too much sustain.

I am comparing this in large part to my 2 and 1/2 year old Obligatos with a few months old regular Flexocor 92 E (I know. I got it for cheap, though.)
    -The Obigatos were still okay for pizz, but the D and A strings were somewhat dead with the bow. The G string was better. -The Flexocor E had a really nice deep open bow note, but was very muddy otherwise, pizz and arco. It did not match the other strings otherwise.

The negatives of the Varicores:
    -The G string was quite nasal with the bow compared with the other strings. It screams with high bow pressure. I was warned about this in the forums, but had hoped that Kolstein's reformulations would have taken care of this problem. They had not.
    -The E string could use a little more definition. Ditto, to a much lesser extent, for the A string with the bow.

Otherwise, it's a very, very good set. The D string is absolutely fantastic.

It took me a long time to decide which strings to get between these and the Jargar mediums. I went with these because they seemed better all-around than the Jargars (and also because Francois always seemed to recommend them).:D

These strings don't get much mention around here (which also factored into my difficult decision), but I would highly recommend them, especially for plywoods.

On a side note, any recommendations for the G string?

2. Gagliano

Gagliano

Aug 6, 2003
    Lynnfield MA
    I like the 92 flexicor G along with varicors for the other 3 strings. Superb for bowing and good pizz. For me the varicors take a while to break in to get rid of a metallic edge on open string pizz.

3. What happened to the rest of this thread?