First impressions of Rogue Violin Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Monkey, Jul 17, 2002.

1. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    I just got my Rogue Violin Bass today, and thought I would pass on my first impressions. This is my fifth bass (excluding upright) in my current lineup, and I've owned tons in the past, so I think I have a good frame of reference.

I'm really amazed at the quality for the money. The flame maple top and back are very nice, although not book-matched. The body binding is nicely done and overall it looks great. I removed the mother-of-toiletseat pickguard right away, which helped. It feels much more solid and a little heavier than I expected.

It needed a little tweaking: lowering the bridge pickup a bit, and raising the G-string side of the bridge. I also repositioned the bridge when I changed strings to flatwounds. It sounded really zingy with the stock rounds, which isn't what I was looking for, and flats warmed it up nicely. It has a lot of output and very warm tone. I like the shorter scale, which is new to me.

I've heard horrible things about Rogue, except for this bass, which has gotten some good reviews, and I am very impressed. I got it for $225 from MF, and it seems like a steal so far. I wish I had bought a case with it.