Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

First impressions of Rogue Violin Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Monkey, Jul 17, 2002.

1. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    I just got my Rogue Violin Bass today, and thought I would pass on my first impressions. This is my fifth bass (excluding upright) in my current lineup, and I've owned tons in the past, so I think I have a good frame of reference.

I'm really amazed at the quality for the money. The flame maple top and back are very nice, although not book-matched. The body binding is nicely done and overall it looks great. I removed the mother-of-toiletseat pickguard right away, which helped. It feels much more solid and a little heavier than I expected.

It needed a little tweaking: lowering the bridge pickup a bit, and raising the G-string side of the bridge. I also repositioned the bridge when I changed strings to flatwounds. It sounded really zingy with the stock rounds, which isn't what I was looking for, and flats warmed it up nicely. It has a lot of output and very warm tone. I like the shorter scale, which is new to me.

I've heard horrible things about Rogue, except for this bass, which has gotten some good reviews, and I am very impressed. I got it for $225 from MF, and it seems like a steal so far. I wish I had bought a case with it.