1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

First Impressions: Sfarzo 5109 Alloy roundwounds

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by LoTone, Apr 30, 2015.

1. LoTone

LoTone Clean as an Entwistle... Gold Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2010
    Quebec, Canada
    I just installed a set of these last night on my Fender USA Satin Nitro Precision and I am quite impressed. Will I like them still a month from now? I don't know but here is what I like so far.

Feel
    Smooth nickel strings that are easy on the fingers. Still, they are roundwounds so you can have the meat of your fingers bite into the strings and dig in if you want.

Tension
    Medium tension. Relatively easy to bend but stiff enough so that the strings don't clack on the fingerboard on each pluck.

Finger noise
    Minimal. In the same ballpark as my other favorite strings GHS Pressurewounds.

Tone
    Even loudness from string to string. No discernable frequency boost anywhere. Very neutral sounding with a smooth top end and a tight low end. They are on the warmer side of the scale for roundwound strings. I play fingerstyle only and they fit my playing style perfectly. I cannot comment on whether they would be suitable for slapping or pick playing. Good solid fundamental tone. Less overtone than many other roundwounds I have played.

Silks
    None which is what I prefer.

Tuning Stability
    I installed them and I did not do my usual stretching near the nut and near the saddles. Yet, they tuned in very easily and they stayed in tune after playing for the first hour. Impressive!

Overall Impression
    You put them on and they feel broken in from the get go. These strings are supposed to be coated. So, the theory goes is that they should last for a while. Later on, I will report on whether they keep their properties over time.

Supplier
    I got these from JustStrings.com on sale for $15.87 for a 4-string long scale set.

-- LoTone

2. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Awesome!

Just to clarify though, they are not coated.

Also next time you can save a few bucks by getting them at Bass Strings Online. They are under $15 there after the TB user discount, plus cheaper shipping :)

3. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Puny human.

mmbongo likes this.
  4. LoTone

Nov 4, 2010
    Quebec, Canada
    Really? I do not see them being available at Bass Strings Online. The ones I got are these: Alloy 5109 About- The Ultimate In Quality

According to Sfarzo:

"A thin microscopic layer of Polytetrafluoroethylene aka RedFRED is added after the manufacturing process which adds to the longevity and shelf life of the string."

I am not sure you and I are talking about the same model of Sfarzo strings.

5. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas

Look to be the same:

Alloy 5109 Bass Strings from Bass Strings Online

6. JustForSport

JustForSport

Nov 17, 2011
    Is 'Alloy 5109' almost the same as Alloy 52?

7. LoTone

Nov 4, 2010
    Quebec, Canada
    I believe that Alloy 5109 is similar to Alloy 52 but Sfarzo does not talk about that clearly. As for the coating for the 5109 Alloy strings, that REDfed stuff is actually Teflon. You know the material that is being used for non-tick frying pans. Time will tell if the coating does make the strings last but right out the bat, I was quite impressed.

8. LoTone

Nov 4, 2010
    Quebec, Canada
    You are right. I did not find them at first because I was looking for these strings under the Sfarzo link. For some reason, Jason lists them as if they were from a separate brand named Alloy 5109. Good catch!

9. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    They are made by the same company but are sold as a different brand than the "Sfarzo" line.

I am pretty sure most all metals have a fine microscopic coating on them to prevent corrosion. I would need to confirm this though. If a company wants to use that in their marketing then thats cool, but I wouldn't consider that a "coated" string like other advertised as "Coated" strings where a separate material is added to the string.

I did a quick google search and one wire manufacturer states "Anti-Tarnish Protective Coating"

Plain Steel strings have something like that on it for sure, your fingers wear it off pretty quickly, that is when the plain steel rusts and it rusts much faster than the alloys used on bass strings.

10. crucislancer

crucislancer Supporting Member

Dec 25, 2009
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Pardon the thread necrophilia, but I'm curious about these strings. How are they for longevity? I have two, sometimes three basses that I string up with rounds, so I'm hoping to find a string that I am happy with that will last longer than a couple of weeks.

11. LoTone

Nov 4, 2010
    Quebec, Canada
    No complaints on longevity either. They last longer than GHS Boomers or D'Addario Nickelwound based on my experience.

12. Root 5

Root 5

Nov 25, 2001
    Canada, eh!
    If indeed they're alloy 52 strings, they'll last longer than NPS strings for sure.

13. crucislancer

crucislancer Supporting Member

Dec 25, 2009
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Ok, cool. I haven't used GHS boomers in 20 years but I recall them going pretty quick. I'll give these a shot.

That's good, because I'm one of those folks that burns through NPS strings very quickly.