1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

First jam for 7 years!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by jetbike, Mar 3, 2013.

1. jetbike

jetbike

Apr 2, 2011
    Sydney, 'Straya
    Tonight will be my first proper jam (drummer, rehearsal space, P.A. etc.) for 7 years and I'm very excited.

I was a very ambitious and professionally minded musician. Spent all of my 20's in bands, played lots of gigs, recorded, flirted with getting signed ("Next year lads, next year") and generally masqueraded as a rock-star.

In my 30's I concentrated on my non-music career. Got married, had kids, bought a house, got a masters degree and started a second. Music took the back-seat.

I've always wanted to get back into music, but could never find the combination of good musicians, stylistically similar to me, innovation and bravery; coupled with absolutely ZERO desire to make it (or, more importantly, zero ambition to quit our jobs and live in a van).

So tonight I have a jam with some mature (late 30's and 40's) musos. We've all had a bite at being pro-musicians, and have since settled into alternate careers. All on the same page music-wise and very much dreams-of-stardom-phobic.

Based on how we look on paper I expect us to sound like Wilco or Radiohead, and be just as good after one jam.

Might buy a van tomorrow...

2. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

Great news - be sure to let us know how it went! I'm sure it felt good.

3. Great stuff Jetbike! I was in exactly the same situation two weeks ago! Went with it and loved it. I can't wait for Wednesday evening now. Hope it goes / went well :)

4. jetbike

jetbike

Apr 2, 2011
    Sydney, 'Straya
    Ears ringing, tubes still warm, fingers sore, happy face. Fantastic.

5. All the signs of a top jam! :bassist:

6. Totally my story... I started playing again in my 40s and now at age 55, I play in a gigging roots rock band, a gigging electronic/dub band and in a house band for a weekly blues/funk projam.