1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

First jam in over four years

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Road Hat, Apr 18, 2015.

1. Road Hat

Road Hat

Oct 9, 2008
    After a number of years of arthritis treatment, I'm able to play pain free for a reasonable amount of time. It had been a very long time since I'd played out, but I decided that I would go to a local acoustic jam to get back into the 'playing with others' groove. Quite an interesting jam, as I had no idea what type of music was being played. I was the youngest one there (and I have gray hairs). Guitar/violin, violin, five string banjo, two mandolins, and me on acoustic bass, so I got to sit in right away. Old tyme folk, bluegrass, Jigs, ragtime. Seriously, as 'old time 'as old time gets. Hmmm, well now, okay, these are tunes I've never heard before. Less is definitely more ! I realized that it was almost my turn to 'call' the song. Oh crap, forgot about that part of a folk jam! First time around I threw down with Red River Valley, well received and played, whew. Second time around I'm starting to sweat, these folks all have sheet music, playing in B flat, etc., capos, key changes. My turn again , how about Bicycle Built For Two? Bam, it was their pop music time! Straw hats and arm garters gleamed in their eyes. All of a sudden the whole group is rockin' 'Daisy, Daisy,", violins doubling the melody. We did all verses and choruses, wow.

I have no idea which memory bank I pulled these songs out of! Ha, talk about personal roots music.

My next call was Strawberry Roan (another flashback), once again well received by the group.

And before I knew it, the jam was over!

Not sure if I'll be back to this particular gathering, but it was a great re-introduction to the sheer joy of playing music in a group!

Winfred and GKon like this.
  2. canteenboy

canteenboy

Jan 30, 2007
    Awesome. That sounds like a great night.