1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

First jam with new (to me) guitarist

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by MichelD, Mar 14, 2019 at 6:12 PM.

1. MichelD

MichelD

May 19, 2014
    My long time music buddy songwriter/guitarist/singer moved away. I don;t want to play pro or even in public but want to kep playing electric and upright.

So the other day our luthier mandolin player pal invited me to come over and play some swing charts with his swing guitarist.

Now I've been practicing along with Youtube tutorials of jazz standards with no bass for a couple years now, learning all my scales and arpeggios, etc. and it's a damn good thing I did.

These guys play from charts, and have 21 Django Reinhardt tunes they play, and a two page list in #8 font of what must be 200 other swing, jazz and pop songs they do.

We had a pretty fun two hours playing and they invited me back any time. They even ask me to take solos, something I'm not particularly good at.

Maybe the woodshedding has paid off, but what heck do I play when the chord chart says A7#5? Or A7/9 ? is that a flat 9 or a straight 9?

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019 at 12:54 PM