1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

First Job

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by WookieeForLife, Apr 11, 2009.

1. WookieeForLife

WookieeForLife

Sep 30, 2008
    PA.
    One week ago I was picking up food at my fav. piizza place when I ask if they are hiring. They took my name and said they might need me. Good Friday they ask me to come in to wash dishes. I did a good job, good enough that when the one washer called off they asked me to work again tonight. Im getting 9 bucks an hour. I made 80 bucks for ten hours of work. Im excited over this job.

2. Chriss62

Chriss62

Jul 24, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Good deal man. My first job was being the third person at a gas station/BBQ joint. Basically cleaning anything that was too gross for the girls to even consider thinking about touching. The coolest thing was that I got to steal some beer everynight (I was 16).

3. WookieeForLife

WookieeForLife

Sep 30, 2008
    PA.
    Haha the bartender is my biggest "friend" there. He helps me out alot. Though, if I asked, he would never risk his license just to give me a beer. The people are cool there. I hope it lasts all summer.

4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Very cool. There are grown men with families all over this country wishing they had a job that paid $9 per hour right now .

-Mike

5. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    Congrats, a job is a job.

6. +1! You're a tax-paying American now son. ;)

7. Jimmy Bones

Jimmy Bones

Feb 24, 2009
    Baxley, GA
    Eh, $9 an hour times ten hours times two days a week times two weeks times a four month summer... he'd not even have to file a return if he didn't want to.

$9 an hour would make my life so much easier. I make exactly $243 a month on my VA disability. I can't even get the cheapo janitorial and labor jobs out here, and I don't seem to have any luck with any office jobs either. Been out of work since October. Losing my mind. :(

8. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Very cool. Do you get free food too? Hopefully the pizza is good.

9. J. Crawford

J. Crawford Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    9 bucks an hour isnt bad! That above minimum wage.

And I agree with Marley, hopefully the pizza is good. Cant be an edible bonus!

10. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    +1 to the hopes for free pizza :D

My 1st job was McDonalds :( I only stayed for 6 years cus of the people I worked with.

Seriously, there was such a cool core of people for like 5 and a half years (it was a new one and we all started when it opened), but then they all left for school. So I did too :D

11. Way more than I made on my first job! Congrats.

12. Time Monkey

Time Monkey Banned

Jan 9, 2009
    California
    Damn, I only make $9 and I bust ass working on cars all day.

13. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
    When I was your age, I worked 12 hours a day at the yarn factory to earn a $3 a week. And I had to share it with my 15 brothers and sisters who all worked with me.

No, wait. . . . that was my grandmother during the Great Depression. NEVER MIND!

:D

But seriously, congratulations and you should be proud. You are doing a worthy job that, unfortunately, many people consider to be beneath them, but you will certainly learn A LOT by doing it. And you can't complain about $9/hr for washing dishes. :smug:

14. kydnav

kydnav

Jun 24, 2006
    Netherlands
    They're already stealing your money! :eek:

My first job was at a traveling agency every saturday, answering phones, solving problems for people on location, bookings, administration, that kind of stuff.. Got me 9,5$ an hour.. I wasn't complaining :smug:

15. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I wish I was making $9 an hour semi-regularly.

Nope, I've been unemployed since December.

16. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    More than I was making when I got my first "real job."

Step two is to get lazy and raise your expectations while lowering your output. Don't worry if it sounds out of reach now, time will take care of it for you.

17. WookieeForLife

WookieeForLife

Sep 30, 2008
    PA.
    As for free food the cook said ask for whatever I want (within reason) and she'll whip it up. I get chicken tenders and fries for free. =]

18. $9 an hour isn't bad. I only make $3 more an hour than you and I work a highly skilled job where I get put in charge of others, so congrats.

lowsound

19. Papazita

Papazita

Jun 27, 2008
    Ohio
    $9 an hour just to wash dishes?
    :eek:
    If you get fired, I'll take it!

20. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    $9 to wash dishes? You're way better off than I was when my daughter was born.

I wiped old peoples' butts and cleaned them up for $3.60 an hour. I was a CNA in a nursing home. I got a raise all the way up to $5 an hour after three months.