First Lakland

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by KeithPas, Apr 22, 2003.

1. KeithPas

May 16, 2000
  2. malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Great bass! Better price. More than likely you'll love it. If it turns out you absolutely hate it, you'll have no trouble moving it.
  3. Hey I just bought my first Lakland as well! :D

Congrats hope you love it!

Now you have to go to my thread and compliment mine....:D
    Big O's new Lakland
  4. KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    Blg O
    Great looking Skyline.
  5. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I saw that one, and liked it a lot. If it only had a maple board.
  6. Beautiful bass, great price.. you did good.
    You'll love it!
  7. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I've owned two Laklands, a 55-94 Deluxe - quilted maple top, and a Skyline JO 5. Laklands overall are really good quality. Each model bass has its own inherent voice.

You've zeroed in on a very nice bass. The quilted figuring is AAAA+. also, I hear that the 55-01 basses sound consistently good. Enjoy!
  8. I've rescently became a Lakland convert. I've played SR5's for the past 8 yrs but I have to say, I like my 5502 as well as if not more than my old White SR5. Enjoy....:D
  9. KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    I used to play a SR5 and I loved that bass (I regret ever selling it) . I am looking forward to playing the Lakland and noting the diferenced between it , my G&L and my Ray.
  10. KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    The bass arrived Friday and my initial impression was great. It does not look like a $745.00 bass. Bass is in great condition. It is very light compared to my BB5000A. Action was set too low for my taste but was able to tweak the truss rod a bit and that did the trick. After changing strings I heard the basses voice alot better. I feel the tone has alot of clarity and growl and it will suit my primary style of music really well. I loved my L2500 but I thought it lacked presence and I would be lost in the mix at gigs. I will miss the variety of tones from my L2500 and I will probably get a fretless one someday. The tone is not very similar to my old SR5 but I think the general tone of the 55-01 has that "alive" quality in the top end that Ray's are known for. Does anyone have any opinions or experience with the Bartolini MK1 pick ups? They sound good to me but I am already thinking of replacing the bridge pick up with a SD MM5 Alnico humbucker.