First Lefty URB strategy

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Bob Rogers, Feb 27, 2005.

1. Bob Rogers

Bob Rogers Left is Right

Feb 26, 2005
    Blacksburg, Virginia
    I've been playing electric bass for about 35 years (with keys and guitar thrown in occasionally). I play weekly with a church band and sit in regularly with various rock and country groups around town. (Math prof at VT as a day job.) A few nights ago I took the family to see a jazz sextet with Rufus Reid on bass. My mother was knocked out. (I was too.) "You have to get an upright! I'll buy it." So I decided to look since she was so enthusiastic. (The fact that she is willing to help with the funding is probably a motivating factor as well.) I would have bought one sooner, but I'm a lefty. I had been assuming I'd have to get one custom made. (The few times I've asked (years ago) I got pretty funny looks.) Now that I look around the internet I see that there are realistic possibilities. I'm now set on getting an URB with the goal of playing contemporary Christian, some country, rockabilly, and bluegrass, maybe a little jazz. (My jazz chops on electric leave a bit to be desired.)

I hit a lot of the links in the newbie set above and contacted Bob Gollihur and Bob Beerman. I had figured on getting a carved bass on the "buy once, cry once" philosophy, but after getting advice I'm pretty set on going for a good laminated bass. I figure that even if I get a higher quality carved bass in the future, I'll want to have a laminated bass to take to places where I'd be afraid to take a more delicate instrument.

I'm going to talk to Bob Beerman this week. He can get lefties from Engelhardt and Christopher. He also carries Sam Shen, but I don't know if they do lefty. Since I'd probably be using him for setup work, it seems like a good idea to buy my first bass from him and establish a relationship.

Anyway, any comments on this overall strategy and sugestions on lefty basses would be appreciated.

Cheers, Bob
  2. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    It looks to me like you're on the right path, though I'm thinking, from what I've heard and read, that going through your above list in reverse order might be the thing to do.

Welcome to the Dark Side...
  3. Yeah, no comparing Englehardt to Christopher. Christopher is much better! Shen is that much better than Christopher. You should check out the New Standards too! Look at ad to your left!
    Englehardt is the low man on the totem pole in terms of workmanship ( knock off, glued on scroll volutes. Painted on purfling. Bad end pins, no ebony fingerboards)
  4. Bob Rogers

Bob Rogers Left is Right

Feb 26, 2005
    Blacksburg, Virginia
    Bob Beerman in Greensboro gave me a quote on a Christopher 200. Looks like my best option in the $1-2000 price range. Shen doesn't do lefty. The fact that he's a well regarded tech "close" to me makes it a good idea to establich a relationship. ("Close" is a relative term here in the hinterlands.) Thanks for the suggestions.

So it looks like I'm going to do it. Only three months to wait. :crying:
  5. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    so a lefty Christopher 200 goes for only 1000-1200?
  6. Bob Rogers

Bob Rogers Left is Right

Feb 26, 2005
    Blacksburg, Virginia
    No, sorry to be unclear, $2,250 with the setup, etc. Almost of 20% upcharge from righty. The other options I was looking at (Engelhardt, Christopher 100) were between 1K and and 2K.
  7. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    bob, you have a PM

Aug 26, 2005
    I just noticed your lefty post from March with your intent to purchase a left-handed upright after seeing Rufus play....

Have you considered learning to play upright using your left hand as the noting hand? Meaning, using a right-hand setup?

One of the best jazz bassists in the business, Steven Novosel, is a lefty who has been playing a right-hand set up bass since day one. He figured his strong hand would be better able to control intonation. Ever hear HIS intonation? PERFECT!!!! You may want to consider same if you haven't already purchased a lefty bass.
  9. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    Speaking of looking to the ads at the left, check out Upton Bass. They sell some of the best laminates I've seen and played for the money and they do lefty set-ups. You went from wanting a carved all the way "down" to a laminate. Why'd you skip the notion of a hybrid? There are some great hybrids around. Again, Upton has great values on those too-- I know-- I owned one.
  10. bassbuz

Jun 21, 2005
    another great upright player is jennifer leitham. She has left handed basses built for her - conceived and built for a lefty. Can't remember the luthier, but saw her play and she's just a fantastic player. based in Los Angeles or around there. she used to have a web site - easy to reach for info.
  11. bassbuz

Jun 21, 2005
    when you meet her, you don't really think of it that way.. just a great stand up player who has a deal with some bass maker from germany, I think, she's their artist. heard her play backup for doc severinson some years back. just a fantastic fantastic player. what was wierd was to figure out what was wrong with the picture - she plays with the bass on the other side.
  12. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    FRom her site:

Performing on her Paesold bass, Jennifer is an artist/clinician for The Music Group. She endorses the Hofner electric bass and Paesold upright basses. Jennifer has said: "What makes the Hofner Beatle Bass different from other electric basses is its acoustic characteristics. It actually moves air similar to a string bass. It's a living, breathing musical instrument." About her Paesold upright bass she comments, "It carries enough bottom to play in an orchestra yet it still punches out pizzicato solos like a great jazz instrument."