1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

First lesson coming up.

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Verdauga, Mar 24, 2009.

1. Verdauga

Verdauga

Mar 23, 2009
    I have been playing bass, on and off, for about a year now. I used to play guitar (still do actually, but my main focus is now bass) so I am fairly competent on the physical aspects of playing the instrument. My concern is the actual playing of the music per se. All I have been doing up to this point is learning songs, via tab, and playing along with the original recording.

I want to change this, so I signed up for some music lessons!

(this eventually has a point, don't worry)

However, I have no idea what exactly it is I want to learn! There are so many things that I want to do with the bass, and music in general. Likely the main thing is writing my own music. I also want to be able to improvise things on the spot with a band (I believe this is called 'jamming'? *correct me if I'm wrong*).

A majority of my bass idols have a fairly solid background playing jazz. They all have used this jazz background in their playing. Should I learn to play jazz in order to play like these people? It is a music genre that has always fascinated me, )though i never catch myself listening to it because I have no idea where to start looking for bands that I would like).*by play I mean create music, not mimic their technique in playing the instrument*

Also *this is directed to teachers and anyone that has taken lessons* what usually happens in the first lesson with a new teacher or student? I really have no idea what I should be expecting from this first of *what I hope to be* a long and fun process of learning the craft!

Hopefully that wasn't too long, and made sense. :)

2. Gintaras

Gintaras

Dec 11, 2004
    Kent Island, Md.
    My instructors goal with me was to be able to show up and play even if you don't know the material. This was all based on theory. We learned scales. arpeggios, modes. We also spent time on progressions of different genres. (example...blues is typically a 1-4-5) Presently working with jazz fakebook and learning standards but spending time learning the concepts of chord progressions in jazz.
    Of course once in a while we waver and learn favorite bass licks and a song that I am having a problem with. One advantage that I have is my instructor started out as a drummer and still subs once a month on drums. My lesson can end up with him drumming and working on understanding the groove set with the drummer.