Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

First lesson tomorrow

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by RobOtto, Sep 16, 2002.

1. RobOtto

RobOtto

Aug 15, 2002
    Denton, TX
    Well I've been messing around with the bass for around a year teaching myself with books and tab. I finally got motivated and decided to get a teacher once a week. I picked this guy because he claims to be a bass-player who can teach other instruments also and I didn't want to learn bass from a guitar teacher who knew a little on bass.

I hope everything goes well, he said most of his instruction will start with old blues lines, and that sounds pretty good to me. I'm going to make sure I get as much theory out of it as possible. Only $15 a session I figure it is well worth a shot.

Here is to hoping.

2. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Good luck with your new teacher. I hope he is all you were hoping for in a teacher. I agree with his strategy to start with old blues lines as they are the foundation of many styles of music.

I hope he will advance your knowledge of theory and also that he will catch any flaws in technique that you may have developed...if you have any.

Lastly, I hope he will encourage you and inspire you. Let us know how your lessons go.

3. i start my first tomorrow too!!!

good luck

4. stephanie

stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    Good luck to both of you. :)

And, RobOtto, I agree, to make sure you get in as much theory as possible. That's great! As I'm 'theory-crazy' myself and strive to learn whatever I can.

Don't forget to always ask your teacher questions. Good teachers are always open to suggestions, comments, and questions, and will always help you through something that is giving you difficulty. When I started out I was a little shy about asking my teacher some questions, but now I'm not hehehe. :D Don't be afraid to ask. That's what I've learned.

5. cancleled on me

i wont be going tonight

6. stephanie

stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    Mhmm...we were wondering where you were! :p Sorry to hear that. Hope you can make it next week. :)

By the way, I always find it best, if you are to cancel a lesson, to call the teacher and let him know you can't make it (if that's possible of course).

7. RobOtto

RobOtto

Aug 15, 2002
    Denton, TX
    Well I think my first lesson went pretty well. My instructor said I was a bit better than he was expecting so he didn't have too much intermediate stuff with him, so he just charged me half price and we ran through some blues techniques and scales and taught me a couple of pretty cool bass lines to practce and improv on.

Then we sat around and shot the poop for about an hour after the lesson talking gear, bands, good bassplayers, and styles. I think we should get along pretty well.

8. ;) Good for you Robotto. Best of luck!!! After 16 yrs. of setbacks, financial, job changes, etc. I have found a live BASS PLAYER to teach me. His name is Doug Habadeen as his has played with the new "Boston" & many others & is presently playing with Goose Creek. What a great guy!! His lessons are $22.50 per hour & it's dirt cheap. ( Don't tell him) LOL!!!! I bought Beaver Felton's tapes some years ago & will continue to use them. I had the pleasure of getting to now him & another great guy & WHAT A F@#$%^&" PLAYER!!!! I'm 55 next month & I will learn this instrument if it

9. hair lips hell!!!! All this coming from a young 55!!!!!. Keep at it!!! Ran