First Live Performance

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by mac_the_sac, Nov 28, 2002.

1. I have my first live performance playing bass next tuesday. Its with a jazz septet from my school, does anyone have advice for keeping my cool and not screwing up?
  2. yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London

Ok, the time foir you to kill off any nerves is the soundcheck. When its your turn to sound check, people wont be focusing on the band, however, to you guys the presence of being on stage is the same as if you were playing. Play a short section of one of your songs, the part thats likely to be most popular (do it evenely, bandwise, rtaher than the bit with a solo for eg').

This will get people attention, in that YOUR BAND got them to see whats happening, rather than them going along with expectations, and as you seem to know, not meeting expectations is where most of your nerves are harboured.

As soon as the sound checks up, i garuntee youll be gagging to get back on stage and play! Honestly, i bet after the gig you come back and say hjow much of a laugh it was, and youll prolly find that the whole nerves+soundcheck thing works nicely :)
  3. hibeam

Oct 16, 2002
    you may be nervous before you start, but when the music hits you, and you settle into the groove, it won't be a thing.
  4. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Practice and preparation.
  5. Band Management and Performance.

but seriously, I like to "drop the kids off at the pool" or "launch a sea pickle" before I go onstage. That usually "releases" any pre gig tension or nervousness. :eek:
  6. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    But, won't you regret that later, if you are going to impress some ladies that night? :eek:
  7. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Me three.:)
  8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Yep. Moved.

Lots of good advice here. Like Jazzbo said, practice and preparation.