1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

First Mark Bass Experience

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by thudstaff23, Apr 9, 2009.

1. thudstaff23

thudstaff23

Mar 10, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    I had my first experience with Mark Bass yesterday, and I must say, I was really impressed. I have to tell you -- I almost felt ashamed of myself, because I was walking into a local Guitar Center here, talking the usual amount of smack about GC and its employees, but, I had a nice experience with a guy working there who, although in his early 20's, really knew his bass stuff. He was friendly, knowledgeable, and a very good bass player. I'm sure his band(s) are happy to have him on board. That comment is not a dig on the youth - I love meeting somebody with youthful exuberance, and the class he had was a refreshing experience to other memories of GC sour taste, regardless of age!

We talked for a bit about my situation. I'm a recent guitar convert, and am setting myself up right in the next few months with gear that will be versatile for gigs, practice, and the possbiliity of studio.

Although I'm attracted to the Big Ampeg stuff, (like most humans) ;) , I realize that I don't really need it right out of the gate, so my money can be spent much wiser on a couple different scenarios. Besides, the money I save on amplification can go into the "dream fund" of someday owning a Sadowsky, or the like.

As for the gear: I was initially turned off by the bright school bus yellow cones and logos, but after watching them thump, and feeling the whump, my opinion has changed.

I first plugged into a CMD102P combo that was also attached to an additional 2x10 that I think must have been the traveler 102P? This sounded killer! I played a Fender Jazz standard, Deluxe Precision, and an Ernie Ball that I'm not sure of the model, but it seemed to be the loudest of the three. Standard GC flare for sure.

I thought that combo package was really a lot of bang for the buck, and you can really hear the bass through this amp. It wasn't earth-shattering power like some of the big tube heads I've plugged into recently, but it was plenty for sure and would definitely be an excellent practice or small club amp.

Next up was the Little Mark Tube 800 through another 4x10 cab. This is the ticket right here. This seemed to be a nice combination of preamp tube and solid state straightforwardness, and the power was getting people's attention in the store! I would definitely be satisfied with this setup right here.

I've seen a lot of you guys and gals are advocates for Mark Bass here, and now I know why. I wanted to share my experience with you.

2. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Are you saying Guitar Center now has the new LM heads (LMIII, LMTube800, etc.):eek:???

If it was the LMTube800, it would be black with yellow knobs, and the same size as the LMIII.

3. thudstaff23

thudstaff23

Mar 10, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    You know, I always have trouble with model numbers, but I know it was an 800W variety of the LM series, and it was brand new to them. They had a nice array of Mark Bass for sure. I would have to double-check my statement to know it was for sure the new one, but yes to the yellow knobs.

4. UncleBalsamic

UncleBalsamic

Jul 8, 2007
    UK
    :eek:

5. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Very cool! Thanks for giving the us the first real feedback on the LMTube800. Excellent!

I'm GAS free, but will probably buy one anyway... go figure:D

6. thudstaff23

thudstaff23

Mar 10, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    YW. This was at the Lynnwood location if you really want to look into it. They have 4 different "Little" heads right now in stock. The most noteable thing was the clarity difference of the three different basses through these rigs.

I wish I could buy one today, but I'm in savings mode for a rig right now. Patience is not one of my strong suits when I have an urge to make my pants shake again!

7. Heh off to GC I shall go, when lunch break comes around! I'll let you know what I see there...

8. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Well, you just cost me $799:D:p:bag:

9. KJung, you picked it up? :D

10. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

So are the new heads avail? If so, I'll be headed to my GC on my way home from work.

11. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

In Detroit, they are 'in the system', which means they can be ordered. I'm waiting to hear how long.

The OP actually played an LMTube800, so they are definitely making their way into the system.

12. Quadzilla

Waiting on confirmation of this.................oh the pain!

13. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

No, just ordered an LM800Tube. Who knows how long, but at least it is in the system and 'orderable'.

I'm excited about the LM800Tube due to the positive experience I had with my SD800 and the AE410. That SD800 voicing was very picky with cabs, but man did it wump with the AE410. So, I'm kind of taking one for the team and seeing what it is about.

What's not to like about the spec though.... blendable tube, refined (to the better IMO) EQ points (tighter up top and down low), full function DI, second 'channel' with XLR combo input jack, phantom power, and volume control, mute switch, and YELLOW KNOBS... and 800watts at 5 pounds. What's not to like!

14. thudstaff23

thudstaff23

Mar 10, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    That price is good for something of this quality and power range, right? You called Lynnwood?

15. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

VERY good. The MB stuff is just a stunning price value. I'm sure if you wait a little bit, you can probably get that 10% off deal thing.

I ordered from my buddy Ryan of Low Down Sound fame, who is now working at the Southwood GC in Detroit. It will be good to hang with him again when the amp comes in. Who knows if it will be in a week or three months!!!!

Thanks again for letting us all know these are finally 'in the system'!

Edit: Quite frankly, my guess is the LMTube will be the big seller. That sweet, warm class A/B power amp, plenty of watts, and all the extra goodies I described in my post, and I would assume $100 less (or even less)... sweet!

16. Quadzilla

Man, wish it was in the MF.com system as I have a 20% off coupon for my next order (due to a screw up they did on one of my orders). That coupon is burning a hole in my email account!!!! ;)

17. thudstaff23

thudstaff23

Mar 10, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    Not sure how long your 20% off is good for, but I would say it's just a matter of time before MF gets "in" if GC's got it.

18. jjk2007

jjk2007

Apr 16, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Endorsing Artist: DNA Bass Systems
    As I stand in my GC in Murrieta CA, I see no new MB products out on the floor. Just some small "instant rebates" on the F1 and LMII. Haven't talked to a sales person yet though.

19. rooted

rooted

Feb 3, 2005
    Corona, CA
    I called Brea and Fountain Valley locations in CA. Not in.

20. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    I love my LMII. Cant believe the power and tone you can get with something so small. I started thinking about maybe picking up one of the hybrids they are coming out with, but I still have my Ampeg SVT-III (non pro hybrid) so I doubt Ill do that anytime soon.