Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

First multi effects

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by GreenMachine, Sep 22, 2005.

1. GreenMachine

GreenMachine

Apr 30, 2005
    Hey. im looking into buying my first multi effect dooly but im not sure what would be best for what i play. I want something like this:
    http://www.music123.com/Zoom-607-Multi-Effects-Bass-Pedal-i21571.music
    that has an expression peddle, wah, dist, etc. Digitech also has a good sounding one with a dum machine in it too. But yea i dont really know whats right to get. I play metal (generally heavy and death) and certainly would like somethin with the metalcore growl like Lamb of god. Any suggestions helpful cos i dont wonna buy something thats crap or has nothing i would use on it. thanks :)

2. You want something that isn't crap? GREAT. Then don't buy Digitech.

Scrounge for a regular Sansamp BDDI......much bettter stuff outta that preamp than ANYTHING Digitech has to offer.

3. GreenMachine

GreenMachine

Apr 30, 2005
  4. rhett

rhett

Dec 23, 2004
    Austin TX
    i actually chose the digitech version of that pedal a while back because it came with an eight track recorder w/ xlr in that rolls simultaneous to the bass input. have had great luck with it and haven't been disappointed. had a bp8 before that which was pretty cool for a multi also. of course no multi is gonna do much great, but for a versatile tool in one unit, nice to have. the sansamp does far better tube emulation and overdrive tones, for sure.

5. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I certainly haven't tried them all, but I haven't found ANY mutlieffects that weren't crap.

6. GreenMachine

GreenMachine

Apr 30, 2005
    heh well im looking for all in one. Maybe ill get a sansamp in a few years if i get any good but for now im still learnin basics.
    i did hear the digitech wah isnt very good. to say the least tho.

7. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    It depends what you're after. I find my Zoom 505II (yes, that is the guitar edition...) very useful.

Wulf

8. Jimmy P.

Jimmy P.

Apr 5, 2005
    Tokyo, Japan
    I second the vote for Zoom: I have the BFX708 and think it very useful. In fact, "crap" is the very last word that comes to mind in describing it. It was priced very reasonably, offers good value, and gives a sampling of a wide variety of effects. It also adds no noise to my signal, and makes my small combo amp sound so much bigger than it is. The built-in drum machine sounds are very real; the tuner is accurate; and the expression pedal adds real-time control.

9. GreenMachine

GreenMachine

Apr 30, 2005
    hey my friends got one of those. maybe ill turn up at his house and try it sometime :D

10. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    I like the Boss ME-50B, but I don't know if it has the exact metal sound you're after. Still, I like Boss's chances of having what you want way more than Digitech's or Zoom's.

11. I have a Zoom 607 that I use all the time but the distortions aren't all that great. If that is your main need you'll be better off with either the Digitech or Boss Units, both have their pros and cons. I always find the reviews at Harmony Central to be helpful when considering a new piece of gear.

12. Well, I guess I'm the oddball: I actually like my Digitech BP8 and I haven't had any trouble with it.

Of course, I guess the difference could be that I actually own it and have taken the time to set it up...

It's my humble opinion that some people throw out the "brand x is crap" phrase yet they've never even tried using the product.

13. I have a DigiTech BP80.

It's not great.

...But if it's your first venture into effects it's a great learning tool.

If you want something better, than go with the big Boss one.

14. I've had first-hand experience with a host of Digitech products. Each to his own- if the unit works for you, great.

15. LA

LA

Oct 17, 2001
    Michigan
    I'd recommend the Digitech BP200 on account of I'm not gonna diss my own gear. I do, however, run mine in conjunction with my Xciter pedal. I use the Xciter for EQ purposes, leave the BP200 relatively flat 'cept in the higher registers, and dial in just enough chorus (or detune) to make a difference.

16. Just out of curiosity, what specifically didn't you like about their products? I'm really not trying to defend them--certainly my BP8 has plenty of room for improvement. Rather, though, I get a lot more out of users' opinions-good or bad--if they go into detail explaining what led them to their conclusion.

Suppose Person A says "this unit sucks" without any further comment...Person B says: "the case was weak plastic, the power supply plug fits poorly, and a button broke within a week...." Needless to say, I get a lot more out of the review from Person B.

:cool:

17. I've tried all of the X-series pedals, and the I liked was the synthwah. The distortion in particular just sounded like a guitar to me. So much bottom loss.

The various multieffects I've tried just sound repetive. And well, very digitized. For some reason, it just seems like my bass's sound doesn't carry thru. My budget Squier P-Bass would sound just like my Hamer Explorer Standard. Also, the foot buttons have varying degrees of looseness- one pedal had a button that was almost stuck solid, and the other was a loose caboose. Tuning was teh bad times.

More examples when I think of them. I love this forum, where we can have good conversations and still get along and not explode into juevinile acronyms and expletives. So, thanks. :D

19. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    If you must go the multieffects route then the most satisfying multi effects I have played is the Boss ME-50B, reasonable sounding and fairly flexible and not requiring several yeras of study to learn how to use (cough Line 6 Bass Pod XT Live cough). I didn't find the GT-6B added a huge amount in addition to the ME-50B, I dislike amp modeling. I'd still recommend a seperate pedal approach but I can see that a multi effects has it's appeal.