1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

First NAD for me.....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bazguitarman, Jan 1, 2012.

1. bazguitarman

bazguitarman

Dec 23, 2011
    Well, as I've said in a couple of other threads. I'm new to this bass thing. I've played guitar for well over 20 years and it will always be my primary instrument. But after recently rebuilding an Ibby 4-string for a young friend of mine and storing his bass amp in my home, I've gotten the bug to play this fat stringed instrument a little.

So I wanted to put together a simple little house rig. I honestly don't want to be a bassist or gig playing bass. But I do want to have a decent little rig at the house to play with, record with and jam with.

So Friday I bought my first bass amp. I caught a great deal on a new Peavey Tour 700 bass head. I was looking at another used amp but was offered a great deal on the Peavey and I yanked it up. I played it for about three hours through a few different cabs ranging from an older Peavey 115 to a beat up Ampeg 410 and a new Fender Rumble 410. It sounded pretty good and had plenty of power into 4 or 8 ohms. The Kosmo sub-harmonic generator was pretty useless though. It didn't track very well even on single note lines. May be fun to play with, but that's about it. The only disappointment was I couldn't push the pre-gain for any distortion. The amp stays clean. I guess I'll definitely have to add a fuzz. Not a bad thing at all.

Now all I have to do is buy a cabinet. Cause I have to say, the amp doesn't do a darn thing for me sitting in the box. Although it is a good looking head. Without a cab it's pretty much just a giant, pretty paper weight.

So now I'm looking at and researching bass cabs. I was leaning toward a decent 410 but right now am thinking hard about the Avatar TB153. I really like what I see in that cab in it's price range. I think it would be perfect for what I am looking for. Leaning more toward the hi-fi sound and plenty capable and loud enough for my uses.

Gotta say, I'm pretty excited about this rig. In the last two weeks I've bought my first bass and first bass amp. Who knows, I might be coming over to the dark side with you other low down cats :bassist: :ninja: :bassist:

Eric