first new amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by doubledown, Feb 22, 2001.

1. doubledown

doubledown Guest

Feb 22, 2001
    Lake Worth FL
    I've been playing bass for the past year or so, and I really fell into the music. I started out with one of those cheap startup bass packs with the basic $100 squier p-bass and bp15, and now I've matured musically to the point of requiring better equipment. I've been playing with some really talented friends of mine and the major problem(obviously) is that I would be more successful stomping on the ground to not be sounded out by drums.

I'm trying to find good tonal quality and adequate volume for an affordable price('cause i'm broke) From what I've read, Ampeg might be the way to go, but I really have no clue about this stuff. I'm looking at the Ampeg BA112 and Crate BFX50(although I don't really need effects right now). So, I'm humbily asking for someone who could refer a juvenile bassist to the least amount of wattage required to play with my band, and an amp that won't break open my piggy bank too wide.

2. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    I have the Ampeg BA112 which I use when just playing with the guitars. When the drummer plays too, I use the Ampeg B100R. The BA 112 cost me $325 new and the B100R, $199 used.

3. TalkBass Sponsor

4. kumori

kumori

Nov 22, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I use an Ampeg BA-115 and have been very happy with it. I payed $429 for it, and I have seen it new for around $400. My band has a guitarist, sax and drummer, and I find that the BA-115 has more than enough for that set up. I think that the price is good, cuz they didn't include an effects loop out or tuner out. The Ampegs have a nice "style selector" and a balanced line out, as well as a headphone jack, and RCA inputs. As a plus, it tilts back. :) I would head to the store and listen to the 100W combos and decide for yourself. I personally liked the sound of the Ampeg. YMMV, of course.

5. White_Knight

White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    USA
    I've heard great things about the Ampeg. I own a Crate, however, so that's what I'll talk about. One point that you make is that you don't need the effects - you'd probably want to get just the BX-50 in that case. However, if you're playing with both a loud drummer and a guitarist you'll soon be wanting more volume. I'd reccommend at least the BX-100 (100 watts), but I think that if you're wanting to go the Crate route that the BX-160 (160 watts/8 ohms, 220 watts/4 ohms) would be a better bet. Check out my reviews in the reviews section.

Another good bet is the Workingman's Series by SWR. I've only heard great things about the Workingman's 15.