1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

First official live performance ,I'm scared

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by wishforbass, Jul 16, 2017.

1. wishforbass

wishforbass

Jun 23, 2016
    Iran
    On past Friday I got a phone call form band manager that we will have a live performance on Saturday night in art national theatre .
    It's so Scarry because people who comes there aren't normal people .
    They usually are musican or artist .
    If we suck we can't get back to playing music.

I start get panic and usually feel I will forget my notes on stage .

For rig I will use my mxr eq ,my fender rumble 100 ,Yamaha bb 415 , Daario strings .

Although I checked everything still I don't fel calm .
    I scare my live sound won't be good or they will laugh at my playing or I suck on timing and destroy band works.

I practice everything at least 200 times but still feel something isn't right so kind of get really scare that even invite some friends .

Did you have same thing ?
    How did u control it and how did it go ?

My playing will effect my career so much because we are playing in lion house .

Atom66 likes this.
  2. Fat Freddy

Fat Freddy Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2016
    Albany NY
    As long as the lions like it, all should be well....:D:thumbsup:

joebar, Gaolee, Jakeman and 6 others like this.
  3. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are.

Feb 11, 2008
    So. Cal.
    Take deep breaths...breathe....

You can only control your playing...focus on that.

Everything else is speculation about outcomes...change what you are thinking about to how successful you and your band will be.

On stage...you can look at your bass neck to maintain concentration...you don't have to look at audience.

And this too shall pass...

4. Fat Freddy

Fat Freddy Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2016
    Albany NY
    Of course....If the lions don't like your stuff....

upload_2017-7-16_16-47-43.

Messing with you....Just play it like you practiced it.....You'll be fine....:):thumbsup:

5. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Get drunk or high first, then you'll be fine. ;)

Failing that, wear dark shades, keep your back to the audience, looking at the drummer the whole time. :thumbsup: It's worked for lots of musicians (particularly rock guitarists :woot:).

Or, just keep banging your head, so you never really look at the audience. Soon enough, your head will feel like you followed my first recommendation. :laugh:

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
  6. BossOnBass

BossOnBass

Aug 11, 2012
    Most people feel nervous before performing to an audience for the first time. It's normal. Feeling nervous isn't all bad... This feeling of uneasiness motivates us to practice harder. You mentioned that you've practiced a lot already... but if u have enough time try to practice the songs to a point where you can play them "in your sleep" - in other words, without thinking about the notes. This will help if u draw a blank on stage.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes!

Oh, and usually the nervousness goes away after the first song or two.

7. Jeff Scott

Will it be a Scarry Night?

Have you ever met anyone who is normal? :laugh:

wishforbass, Gaolee and el murdoque like this.
  8. Jeff Scott

This has never worked for some musicians I have played with.

9. BossOnBass

BossOnBass

Aug 11, 2012
    Could be. but maybe they didn't really practice enough. It can take a lot for some people. I've choked when I thought I practiced enough, but hadn't.

10. Jeff Scott

I think a lot of it comes down to just being comfortable with one's own abilities and not worrying so much. I have seen that absolute best musicians on the planet make a mistake, occasionally. It happens, we are not robots.

wishforbass and 47th Street like this.
  11. T_Bone_TL

T_Bone_TL

Jan 10, 2013
    NW Mass/SW VT
    The trick, if there is a trick, is not to worry too much about any mistakes (there will be some, most likely) and realize that a few mistakes won't ruin the show. Melting down or freaking out because you were human and made a mistake - that will ruin the show.

In the meantime you should take a quick look around and perhaps make a few calls to see if there's anywhere ELSE you can play before Saturday, even if it's just inviting friends in to your practice space, (but giving them a show, not just having them hang around while you practice) so you can get the "first public performance" out of the way ahead of time.

Ghastly, pbass2, 47th Street and 3 others like this.
  12. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Practice Practice Practice. And keep in mind no one is really paying attention to you. Or imagine the whole audience is naked. :smug: Something like that. Good luck.

Nashrakh, wishforbass and Smelly like this.
  13. OldDog52

OldDog52 Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    How much time has your band spent on rehearsal with all members present? Has the band performed together in front of even a small non-critical audience?

14. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    What kind music and what kind of band is this? Some genres are certainly more forgiving than others.

When you say you've practiced your parts 200 times, how many of these were with your group? Groups practice (rehearsal) is when you can really start to feel confident in your ability. If you are doing fine in your group rehearsal, then relax and just do the same thing for your performance.

15. You noticed OP lives in Iran right? I don't think he's eager to invite harsh prison sentences to calm his nerves. :p

16. Jeff Scott

Is it like the old KGB era CCCP where you might disappear if the song wasn't played perfectly?

17. Not sure if you're joking. Alcohol is illegal in Iran with a few exceptions. Drug offenses carry outrageously severe punishments.

18. organworthyplayer337

organworthyplayer337 Professional Hack Supporting Member

Oct 28, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    Iran or not, probably shouldn't encouarge drug use...

19. If you can't shake the nerves, consider beta-blockers. But really, it will be fine.

Ghastly likes this.
  20. BadB

BadB

May 25, 2005
    AZ, USA
    It's all in your head. It's happened to most everyone just starting out. Just try to be relaxed and ignore the thoughts that everyone has eyes on you. It'll pass.

Atom66, wishforbass and navijaz like this.