1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

First Online Recording

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by sirplabassalot, Apr 14, 2017.

1. sirplabassalot

sirplabassalot

Dec 31, 2012
    Ireland
    Just sharing this little groove I recorded with my phone excuse the odd mistake.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
    Badwater and Michael Schreiber like this.
  2. Michael Schreiber

Michael Schreiber Commercial User

Oct 14, 2014
    Kassel / Germany
    www.frau-kapitaen.com
    Nice!

I'd cut the intro, and up to 0:28, 'cause I find it rather confusing. But thereafter, I really feel the groove, and can imagine some drums accompanying. Can't tell more, since the quality is... well, cell phone, isn't it? :D
    But as a listener, I can feel the groove. As a player, I feel tempted to give the hint to play less notes, to give the other ones more space. But that's a) my opinion, and b) would depend on how others would play along.

Fazit: If you want to know if your playing is groovy: Yessir, to me it is :D

3. sirplabassalot

sirplabassalot

Dec 31, 2012
    Ireland
    Thanks man! yeah it's all improvisation so I feel like it really gets into it at 0:50 I tend to play less notes with a drummer by the way haha you're dead right on the amount of playing depends on what's happening with the other instruments :p yep I recorded it with my phone haha I used a jazz bass with a eden head and a VT sansamp as you do

Michael Schreiber likes this.
  4. Michael Schreiber

Oct 14, 2014
    Kassel / Germany
    www.frau-kapitaen.com
    I only "know" a bit about the Sansamp from youtube videos. Must be a cool DI and very popular!

Actually, I'm playing through an Ampeg V-4B + 210AVs and mic them. But it's live recordings, and we stick to what we can do live (no guitar doubling etc. or samples), and even worse: Being a novice in mixing, my recordings don't tell the true story of how the V-4B actually sounds. So, it's my fault for not being able, yet, to mix live recordings properly. Just mentioning, in case you once happen to hear a track and wonder - it's me who's to blame, not the amp :D

5. sirplabassalot

sirplabassalot

Dec 31, 2012
    Ireland
    I can sing nothing but praise about the VT sansamp you can get that ampeg growl from it no bothers, I say you can get a solid track from micing the Ampeg V-4B with the 210AVs would run it straight to the mixer and use it as a interface with a USB port ?

Michael Schreiber likes this.
  6. Michael Schreiber

Oct 14, 2014
    Kassel / Germany
    www.frau-kapitaen.com
    Never had the chance to try a Sansamp in real-life. But what matters, IMHO, is that you like the sound. In a live mix, I doubt non-musicians would hear a difference, but what they'd likely hear is whether your (sans)amp feels great to you while you're playing and gives you a psychological boost; if you're playing feels great to you, nothing can beat that, IMO - and as a listener, that's what matters most to me: That the player feels great and transports that feeling to the audience. So I can feel like: \m/ :D

Yes, that's the way I do it. Problem is, we're recording live. Separate tracks, but the vocals mic picks up loads of the drums. And I'm just a mixing novice. So, while the bass recording is not a problem and performs really well, to me, I lack the skills to make it shine in the mix.

By the way, the V-4B also has a preamp out, like a DI. So, mic'ing is not really needed. I do it for the sound, though, and for the authenticity; the audience will hear the sound coming from the cabs, so I record it that way. And luckily, I dig the sound of the 210AVs; like an 810, but more portable, and I can set the 210AV cabinets at an angle, so they cross-fire; better sound distribution and allows me to cope with room issues (small rehearsal room). If you're into 810 sound, but also puzzled how to move that fridge 3 flights of stairs every time, I only can recommend trying the SVT210AVs.

Back to the Sansamp - when you have the opportunity to record your next bass groove via something else than the phone, let me know, I'd really like to hear how it sounds when you play through it with your settings, in more detail, and what your next groove is, of course \m/