1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

First Openly Gay General

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by colcifer, Aug 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Philonius

Philonius Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2009
    2k W of the Duwamsh
    I'm gonna celebrate by not having one 'a them Fil-A chicken thingies.

2. MadMan118

MadMan118

Jan 10, 2008
    Vallejo, CA
    Yeah I was listening to that on NPR earlier today. Pretty cool IMO. Much respect for her.

3. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    Cool, it's about damn time!

4. BelleNoireBass

BelleNoireBass

Apr 18, 2012
    Bay Area
    Good.

5. being a homosexual shouldn't matter. A good soldier is a good soldier.

6. slobake

slobake resident ... something Supporting Member

I don't think this is a big deal one way or another. Maybe it's because I live in San Francisco. If she is a good officer promote her why should we not have our best people because of something that has nothing to do with their job. I look forward to the day when this type of thing is not news.

7. nortonrider

nortonrider

Nov 20, 2007
    Cool? Celebrate?
    WHY?

8. Mysterion

Mysterion

Jan 10, 2012
    This is a big deal. And it's cool, and it's reason to celebrate. Here's why:

Gays and lesbians have been subject to discrimination for a long time; in many venues, they still are. This event reflects an institutional rejection of that discrimination. In plain terms, this is the military saying "You're gay? Well, okay--now we won't fire you!"

For those who might object that she could have, y'know, just kept it to herself...consider:

80-odd years ago, my grandfather was on the way to being pretty successful in the garment trade. But a lot of his business took him outside of New York. So he changed his name, so he didn't seem "too Jewish."

I like to think we've progressed to a point at which people don't have to pretend to be something else in order to serve. And I think we should be damn proud.

9. nortonrider

nortonrider

Nov 20, 2007
    I like to think that we have progressed to a point that it doesn't really matter anymore.

The only ones who seem to "celebrate" these things are people who like to point out that gays are "different"
    and keep the "issue" in the news.

I'm a straight white guy, anybody want to "celebrate" that?

10. as long as a big deal is made about it by either side the divide will remain

11. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Remind me, how many decades ago was it made legally okay to be openly gay in the US military?

12. I'd like to think that too, but don't kid yourself- we're not there yet, not by a long shot. So might as well celebrate. And boycott chick fill a.

13. nortonrider

nortonrider

Nov 20, 2007
    I happen to like chik-fil-a!

If we are going to celebrate..... lets celebrate that we live in a Country that allows both the General AND Chik-Fil-A to equally express their different views on a controversial subject.

14. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    The point is this isn't about the general expressing views, but rather being able to live their life openly without fear of discharge just like any heterosexual soldier. Don't you think the removal of positive discrimination is something worth celebrating?

15. nortonrider

nortonrider

Nov 20, 2007
    Obviously not, hence my posts.

I truly believe it's a non issue in today's day and age.

16. Gab124

Gab124 The path is greater than the destination

Dec 30, 2006
    Tulsa

+10000 I can't believe how much discrimination there still is about who people fall in love with, as if there is not more important things to worry about.
    Of course, I am perfectly willing to accept those who do not condone this lifestyle and are vocal about it, but those same people should not allowed to preach "land of the free" if that is their stance.:scowl:

17. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    I'd like to believe that, too. Unfortunately, the things I see and hear tell me that it is still an issue.

18. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    It SHOULD be a non issue in this day and age....but it's not.
    With more and more things like this happening, it may very well become a non-issue though and that's why I'm happy about it. It's a nice step forward.
    And I also happen to like Chik-fil-A :)

19. nortonrider

nortonrider

Nov 20, 2007
    That "land of the free" thing is a two way street!

Did you notice the double standard in the post that you quoted?
    CELEBRATE gayness, but BOYCOTT chick fill a.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.