First paid gig coming up!

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Phil Mastro, Feb 19, 2006.

1. Phil Mastro

Phil Mastro

Nov 18, 2004

This coming tuesday (Feb 21st) I'll be getting paid for playing music for the first time. It'll also be the first time I sing in front of a crowd of more than 5 people (only one song thank god). I'm pretty excited about it, though tuesday night I'll probably be pretty nervous. Any tips for first time singers? Any first time singing stories are also welcome.

In case someone wants to see my band play, we're playing at the Bishop Street Pub (1222 Bishop, Montréal), and we'll probably start around 9pm.

2. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

Cool, Montreal. What style of music is it?
  3. Phil Mastro

Phil Mastro

Nov 18, 2004
    Rock mostly. We play some Aerosmith, moe., Sublime, Eagles, Red Hot Chili Peppers, but we also have some one off tunes like Watermelon Man by The Headhunters, and BBQ Stain by Tim McGraw.
  4. shoudl be a fun time, the first song is gonna be butterflies everywhere, but you get over it, we played our first paying gig friday night and packed the house for it...first time anyone had ever cheared for anything we did so it was a great feeling, just have all of your friends go and it'll basically feel like your practicing in a more public place (thats how end ended up for us, we had about 150 of our friends come and support us, people in the bar next door said they could hear the cheering the whole time we were on)

just relax while your playing, if you fudge a note or two just move on and forget about it, the audience probably didnt even notice it

most important thing to do is be in tune at all times with the rest of the band and make sure their in tune too
  5. Best of luck!

Let us know how it went.

6. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

I guess I'm gonna miss it.
  7. Phil Mastro

Phil Mastro

Nov 18, 2004
    Aight, so here's the lowdown:

I learn that apparently, we're supposed to start at around 10 instead of 9. Since I had an exam the next day (this morning, went pretty well), I was hoping to get out of there after our first set, around 10. So the manager wants us to play sets no longer than 45 minutes. So, we manage to convice the manager to start a bit earlier (9:45), and play three 30 minute sets. I figure, 9:45 to 10:15, 15 minute break, 10:30 to 11, and I'm outta there.

We play our first set, setlist goes something like this:

Apache Rose Peacock
    Hotel California
    Buster (which I was singing)
    Home for a Rest

Everything went pretty well, the bar was surprising pretty full, mainly from McGill students, cuz they're on spring break this week. I was pretty nervous during the first verse of Buster, but after the first chorus, everything was cool.

So it's 10:35, and we start setting up. The manager comes up to us and says: "Hey, don't start now, you'll be done by midnight." So, to my dismay, we messed around till 11. Now remember, I was initally planning on leaving around 10 o'clock. It's 11, and we haven't even started our second set. It went something like this:

Jessica/What I got/Sweet Emotion/Voodoo Chile/Play that Funky music medley
    Groove is in the Heart
    Watermelon man (with bottle and cowbell!)
    Steal my kisses
    Ramble on

Then it was around 11:45, I packed my stuff and went home. I got there around midnight, and then realized I forgot to get my cut. :bawl: I figure one of the other guys in my band has picked it up for me, though I haven't talked to them yet. And at 6:35 this morning, my alarm rings. Time to get up to go to school!

All in all, even though the last 18 hours have been pretty hectic, I had a lot of fun, and we'll probably get a bi- or tri-weekly spot there, which is super sweet.

peace out