first paid gig with band, how to attract epople

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by clanner, Sep 26, 2005.

1. clanner

clanner Token Black Guy.

Apr 27, 2005
    ummmmm, marietta GA
    first paid show and it's a percentage of the door, we need atleast 10 people to come see us to get booked again, and not that money matters but the more the better because of gas and still needing to upgrade equipment. new amps for both our guitarist and I. (we're both running 100 watts, tho his is a 4x10 halfstack and mine a 15' speaker combo) he wants to upgrade to a marchall full stack, and I'm either with a hartke bass stack or a custom bass stack (kustom is wholesale, our sponor can order it for me, 1200 watt head, 2x15 cab, 4x10 cab)

anyway, how would one promote this? when they go to the door they tell them who they're hear to see. that band gets part of the door. i believe it's 50% but I need to check on that.
  2. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Friends. Family. Friends of family and family of friends. Everybody from where you work. Everybody else you meet with whom you have some thing in common. Invite everybody you know and then go all out to entertain the ones who do come along.

3. clanner

clanner Token Black Guy.

Apr 27, 2005
    ummmmm, marietta GA
    thnxs. only reason I'm even worried about it is people didn't come to the last show wich was completely free. I don't work, I go to school, they were the ones that didn't come. I'll try again, persistence.
  4. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    It is about persistence. In particular, you want to find people who enjoy the kind of music you're making and the kind of environment offered by the club. One good way to do that is to hang out at gigs by similar bands in similar venues and get chatting to people. If they become friends or at least acquaintances, then you've expanded your list of people who might be likely to come (and you can potentially reach all their friends as well).

Even if you do the gig and not many people show up, be friendly to the ones who come for you and the other bands and let them know when your next dates are or how to find out (eg. on your website).

5. bigtexashonk

bigtexashonk Supporting Member

Have the band billed on the marquee as "Free Beer". That usually draws a crowd.
  6. clanner

clanner Token Black Guy.

Apr 27, 2005
    ummmmm, marietta GA
    free beer (it's an actual band here) has already played her a couple of times.
    i'm getting ready to send out a mass e-mail.
  7. tadawson

Aug 24, 2005
    Lewisville, TX
    *Heh* Free beer . . . . . I always wanted to play as an act called "Closed for remodeling" and see if anybody would show up . . . .

- Tim
  8. You sir, have made my day.

As to attracting people, as stated before, bring friends, family, their friends and family. Not everyone will come, but some will and just remember to be grateful for it. Sometimes people walk in when they hear the music(this has happened to us several times...then everyone left when the next band started). Unless you are an established band, I wouldn't recommend putting up flyers since nobody knows you and probably won't end up coming. We certainly haven't gotten random people showing up because of flyers, mostly its bar regulars and our friends and family and friends and family of most other bands. And because we have been chatting up lots of bands at gigs, we've gotten some of them to come out for gigs and support us(as well as us going to their gigs to support them). Its all...cyclical.
  9. Don't rely on mass emailing people. When you get a fanbase that's where the email newsletter will come in handy. If I were you I'd make small posters and put some up, and go around personally giving them to people. I know some local bands that will make a whole bunch of free CDs along with the posters and hand them out to random people.
  10. If you're still in school... put up flyers on all of the walls.

...Don't forget about man's best advertising space, above the urinals.
  11. flyers can make a HUGE difference, so can just telling people via word of mouth. but why in gods name would your guitarist want to haul around a freaking full stack man? thats freaking insane if hes playing that monster of a full stick compared to a little combo rig. worse comes to worse, shell out for an 8x10 and one hell of an amp head to make up the difference.
  12. McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    Flyers everywhere. In your classes in the middle of studying, stand up announce the gig and throw flyers in the air. Write the flyer on Chalkboards. Tell everyone. If your band has a myspace, post a bulletin everyday up until the gig.
  13. pepsican

Oct 23, 2004
    best things for me to do to draw some people in:

tell every friend you know
    pass out flyerrs after shows at the same venue
    myspace whoring
    tell family members, lots of them
    staple gun + 100 flyers + the area that you are playing in
    most every business has a bulletin board you can post stuff on, youd be suprised
    hand out demos with your webpage written on it

everything you can do to get your name out there and people coming. Eventually you get a fan base, but usually its a rough start. DIY is fun though, take pride in building up your band.
  14. jimbob

Dec 26, 2001
    Charlotte NC
    Endorsing Artist: Acoustica Mixcraft; Endorsing Artist: DR Strings
    I have been in the Food Business for 20+ years. Majority of Clubs business comes from about 5 miles away from their location (Proven Fact) so concentrate your efforts in the club's local area. Also, drop in on them as often as possible to leave flyers and ask if they know of any places they can hang them up...they may know of some local businesses that will help you get the word out. If they like you and they see you working hard to get business in their club, they may throw you a "Cancellation" gig because they like you.
  15. True.. me and my band got a Cancellation gig after we've played a nice show in a local bar :hyper:

And the rest has been said.. mass email is gay by the way. That's the same as spam, you could say: "we have a gig there and there" in the email, but don't say: YOU MUST COME!

16. Johnny Mac

Johnny Mac Riff-finder General Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2005
    Springfield, MA
    What's a cancellation gig?

BTW, the bassist's amp should be twice the wattage of the guitarist. I would definetly save up the money from the gigs for a new amplifier.
  17. jimbob

Dec 26, 2001
    Charlotte NC
    Endorsing Artist: Acoustica Mixcraft; Endorsing Artist: DR Strings
    "cancellation gig": when another band cancels their gig and you get it...that's what I call them anyway