Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

First Paid Gig!

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Mark Wilson, Feb 24, 2006.

1. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Hey guys, i've gotta let it out. We just played our first payed gig. We got 60 bucks each (there are 4 of us) it's not too bad. Here's the story

If by any chance, your son or daughter come home from a CURLING Championship celebration dance from Niagara Falls, Ontario, My band was the band.

We played for an elementary school dance. All kinds of schools from ALL on Ontario (literally) were there. And it was great! Kids were dancing from 7:30 until 10:00 straight. I actually signed autographs! haha. While nothing bad happened to me, my brother (guitarist) broke his B-string, kept playing and broke his high E during the same song! We played acoustic, then re-string later.

I'm really pleased too. We did alot of really rock songs (All along the watch tower for one of them. Amazing.) And Boston, and Doobie Brothers, Beatles, John Mayer, Dave Matthews.

I just wanted to share!

Thanks,

Mark

2. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Congrats! Sounds like a really rewarding first experience.

None of the schools I went to ever had a live band at a dance. There is something special about a live band that you just don't get from records. I'm sure the kids will really remember that dance.

3. Mark Wilson

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    I hope so Sean. Thanks!

There were a bunch of kids who were going nuts who were from Ottawa actually haha.

-Mark

4. WillCO

WillCO An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure.

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    Congratulations, Mark. There is something wonderfully vaidating about being paid to play. Plus, I don't know if you're married, but if you are it helps justify the nights "out" without her!

5. Mark Wilson

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nope. Not married. Only 18 years old. But, alot of girls came up to us afterwards. So I can live with that. You know, if they were a bit older.

-Mark

6. FriscoBassAce

FriscoBassAce

Dec 29, 2004
    Frisco, Texas
    Independent Manufacturers Representative
    Cool dude! Looking back, I wish I would have saved some things from my first paid gig, such as pictures, set lists, a recording, a program from the event. You get the idea. When you hit 40, your brain stops remembering things and you have to have evidence about where you were and what you were doing to jog the old noodle. If I could go back in time, I would have grabbed all those things and put them in a scrapbook or even thrown them into a shoe box or something.

So, where's your next gig?

7. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Hey,

thanks for sharing, Mark.

That's a cool story. I'm glad you had a great time...and made some cash!

:D

Joe.

8. Mark Wilson

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Woah. at 40?! I'm forgetting already!

My next gig is...Actually I have no idea. We're playing for two charitys. One is to raise money for...something. and the other is to send children with disabilitys to Florida for a vacation. We're also playing at a film festival in May. That's going to be really big too. Alot of big shot producers are gonna be up here.

-Mark

9. +a million, plus it justifues everything youve ever practiced for aside from loving the music, getting paid just feels good

we played our first paying gig about 2 weeks ago and leaving the bar got offere 4 more (two from the same bar, one from another local place, and one from a guy i know in a different fraternity)

10. reitedasc

reitedasc

Jun 23, 2005
    Norway
    Hi Mark!

I actually had my first payed gig today! We played at a conference for a big norwegian publisher at one of the city's nicest hotels, in front of about 200-250 school teachers INCLUDING MY FRENCH TEACHER!!! Haha. We played "Matinee Idol" by the Yellowjackets and "Saga of Harrison Crabfeathers" by Steve Kuhn. Six guys including me, 15 minutes and we gott 300 kr each, wich would be 5,3 dollars more than you earned:D :p

edit: 300 kr is actually just 45 dollars, but still it's impressive for a 15 minute gig! Got the day of school to, what a happy day!