Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

First *Paid* Gig

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by FreeSpirit, Mar 11, 2006.

1. So here is my story, I love reading other people's gig stories so I thought I would share mine for ya'll.

So I have been talking to this guy for about a few months now, and we were thinking of forming a band, we haven't got around to that yet, but his uncle plays in a bar/cover band and is a bassist. He tells me that his uncle couldn't make a gig, so would I like to play a sub? I say sure why not, thinking it will be a fun night and just some expirience, as before I have only played a few shows at local concerts for nothing. SO I get emailed a set list 10 days in advance and told there is a band practise in 2 days and they would like me to come.

So everything goes well at the band practise, they had me learn as many as possible then I just yelled out tunes at practise and we played those. A few days later the bassist and I get together alone and play to the songs we didn't play as a band, and we make sure I have got them all down.

The gig ends up being 6 hours north of where I live. It is in a town in northern Ontario called New Liskeard. The whole band(four of us) drive up in the drummers van, we get there around 7, set up and it is all good.

We played 3 sets, of varying length, and i only butchered a few tunes, maybee 5 chords were wrong out of the 30 or so songs we played. I have never felt time fly so fast, as to when I was playing. I got cheers during longview when it is just bass and drums, and also during "new orleans is sinking."

I realised how much I love playing out, and for people. It feels so cool to just have even one person come up to you between sets or after the show and even just a hand shake or a good job.

The highlight of my night was our encore was santeria by sublime, except we only decided this when the guitarist and i were talking about sublime before the show and I said how much i love their music, that he said lets put it on the end of the set. So we did except no one cept me, and im not much of a singer knew the words so I wrote them out but no one could read my writting, so it was almost an entrie instrumental(which still sounded really good,) untill this guy grabs a mic and starts to freestyle over top of it. We couldn't stop laughing but it was such a good time.

Kyle

P.S. getting free beer is also always a good thing.

2. thekyle

thekyle

Dec 25, 2005
    Breckenridge, CO
    That's great. There is really nothing like playing in front of people. I was hooked after my first time, too. I've been playing in front of people for several years, and the thrill never decreases as long as you are playing music you love with people you enjoy playing with and being around.

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Kewl. Very kewl. Congrats, man.

4. Thanks alot guys! It has been 24 hours since I got off the stage, and I still have the buzz in me.

After we jammed for the first time, it felt so good, it was 11pm when we were done, and i called my g/f and she thought i was drunk or soemhting because of how energized and in a good mood i was because of just playing, and getting really good vibes.

5. FriscoBassAce

FriscoBassAce

Dec 29, 2004
    Frisco, Texas
    Independent Manufacturers Representative

That's why I do it! I LOOOOOVVVEEE that feeling!

I'm usually floating for about 3 or 4 days after a gig. Good stuff! If I could bottle it and sell it, I could make a FORTUNE!

:p

6. Yup, You're hooked...
    Like so many of us...

I still remember my first gig (well not really - it's a blur), and the feeling afterwards (that one I DO remember - INVINCIBLE!!!).
    The rest of Your musical career/"career" will have something of a chase in it - the chase after that high You got that night.

And I'm happy to announce that You'll find it in many gigs to come. There'll be bad ones, but oh lord there'll be good ones too.

Congratulations on Your gig experience, and take my advice and start looking forward to Your next one.
    It's probably good...:hyper:

/Ff

7. aarono

aarono

Feb 14, 2006
    Minnesota
    Reading this story makes me want to get a band going. Just the comradery of driving with your friends and listening to tunes, knowing you'll be having more fun when you jam, etc. This may be hard to explain, but in my mind this sounds fun.

8. Just do it!
    Tonight is rehersal night and I've been happy all day looking forward to it.
    I haven't even been there yet and it's already made my day.
    And I know it'll get even better once I'm there.

Just do it!

/Ff

9. aarono

aarono

Feb 14, 2006
    Minnesota
    Believe me, I want too. Very few play around here though, those who do (except me) like that emo/punk stuff. I more a hardrock/metal guy.

I was kind enough to let a friend borrow my old guitar so perhaps he could be added to the pool, he let's one of his friends borrow it and one of the strings supposedly snaps by plucking it twice...:meh:

One day though.