1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

First Part-time Job?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Gruvmunki, Dec 3, 2006.

1. Easy enough, what was your first part-time job, and how did you like it?

For me, my first and only is at Zehrs Markets:smug: , just about three and a half years workin there. Don't care for it so much, but it's payin for school.:)

Now..Your Turn

2. i cleaned a cafe for an hour every morning, it was fine.

3. Mine was a busboy at a local seafood restaurant, which I despised. I have had several jobs since then, including doing cabinet installations/home renovations, scooping ice cream, and now I make popcorn, which isnt bad at all.

4. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I was a paperboy. It sucked, but I worked that round for 3 years.

5. Vince S.

Vince S. Resident Former Bassist

Jan 24, 2003
    My first real part-time job was as a dishwasher at a local seafood restaurant. I worked every Saturday evening from 4-11. It was very hot in the kitchen, and I would come home smelling of old seafood. The stench would stay in my hair and clothes even after washing. I worked there the summer before my senior year.

My next part-time job was as a "summer office assistant". I typed up papers, filed them, scanned and uploaded product manuals onto the company website, etc. I was there 8 to 4 Monday through Friday for the entire summer.

6. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Evansville
    Paperboy was a job , or was it?

I detassled corn but that was more of a seasonal 2 week stint in august of each year.

Bus boy was my first official job when I was 13 at a family restaurant up the street from my house.

7. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

I was a Baseball Umpire for little leaguers about 4 years ago.

8. arbitrary

arbitrary Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Boston, MA
    KFC, I made sandwiches and did drive through. Occasionally I would "make" the coleslaw. I still can't eat there and that was about 7 years ago. Besides the food, the job blew.

9. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I worked at Toys R Us. Good times. That was a long time ago...

10. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    McDonald's. Worked there for 8 months doing all the "stations" there. Best was argueably running for front counter. Worst was "the hole", i.e. drive through.

11. we can put pictures in our sigs now? talkbass is doomed

12. i was a bakery clerk at a bakery...up at 4 every morning! of course it was really cool being done by noon though :)

13. My thoughts exactly.

14. I got fired from my first and only job two weeks ago. Worst part is, I didn't do anything. The manager said "the job is not suitable for you". I think he didn't want me to work there cause the didn't want to ruin the image for the new restaurant. (I'm 16, tall but ard 300lbs)

Still waiting for a call from another job now...

And so my quest for my first bass continues...

15. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I was a sales rep for an international distributor of discrete semiconductors. Yeah, then I was a manager of a culinary school / cafe, then a stock boy, then a warehouse guy. I think I'm going backwards.

16. Mines still is making pies at a bakery ...

17. alexcccp

alexcccp

Nov 1, 2006
    CVS/Pharmacy 5 years ago in the 11th grade from 4 to 9. It was/is located in 7th highest income town in the US, so pretty much I delt with "kings and queens of the world that got issues" and absolutly hated it for 7 months. There was one good part to it, when guys with rolexes were buying condoms - they got so nervious when they aprouched the register.

Here is a guy with 2 million house, 20 mil in a bank, tens of his employees busting their butts for him, yet he is pissing his pants when he buys condoms. :D :D :D

18. My first job was a machinist apprentice. It paid incredibly well back in 1975, somthing like $7.00 per hour. I got the job because I had completed a 2 year machinist class and was one of only a few that passed the final math and shop tests. For the excellent pay, I had to put up with two German master tool makers constantly BARKING at me. It was funny because back then I usually put a good buzz on right before I got to work :rollno: Man! Those Germans were SOB's :mad: But they forced perfection and precision out of me which is something that left a lasting impression.

19. My first job was a machinist apprentice. It paid incredibly well back in 1975, somthing like $7.00 per hour. I got the job because I had completed a 2 year machinist class and was one of only a few that passed the final math and shop tests. For the excellent pay, I had to put up with two German master tool makers constantly BARKING at me. It was funny because back then I usually put a good buzz on right before I got to work :rollno: Man! Those Germans toolmakers were mean SOB's :mad: But they forced perfection and precision out of me which is something that left a lasting impression.

20. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    If the postion of "paperboy" isn't a true job, then being a waiter was my first job, and still is! Putting me through Uni :D