1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

First paying gig!!!

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Stilettoprefer, May 20, 2011.

1. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

Nov 26, 2010
    So, The new band I'm in (first rock/ punk band) has our first paying gig July first! It's also my first gig playing rock stuff. Any tips for playing rock live? It's out of state so I'm making sure to bring extra EVERYTHING. Might even look into borrowing a bass to bring as a backup.

2. paganjack

paganjack

Dec 25, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Move around a lot. Like A LOT.

3. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Be sure to spend all your gig money drinking when youre done playing!

4. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

Nov 26, 2010
    I'm 16:p I would love to drink, but I don't think I could pass for 21 haha

5. People expect to see rockers doing crazy things on stage. Watch a bunch of rock music videos.

YouTube - ‪Protest The Hero - Blindfolds Aside‬‏

YouTube - ‪Flyleaf - I'm So Sick‬‏

YouTube - ‪for whom the bell tolls‬‏

YouTube - ‪Three Days Grace - Animal I Have Become Live at The Palace‬‏

YouTube - ‪Green Day - American Idiot (Live Video)‬‏

YouTube - ‪We Came As Romans - Full Set! #1 Live in HD‬‏

YouTube - ‪Dragonforce - Heroes Of Our Time‬‏

YouTube - ‪Motley Crue - Dr. Feelgood (live 1989) Philadelphia‬‏

I like (almost) all of the bands up there, but I tried to include most genres of rock and punk. If you play softer, you'll get away with being less wild, but I have a feeling you play like at least one of those bands up there. No matter what you play, your singer should engage the audience. If they don't, you should do it for them. Always keep them engaged. Let them up on stage to dance with you if you want. Just make sure they're having a good time, and make sure you're having a good time.

When the music's heavy, they're all moving. They're dancing or headbanging or spinning around or doing other ridiculous things.

6. drewfunk

drewfunk

May 10, 2010
    Olympia, Wa
    Run around, interact with your band mates all the time, and make lots of funny faces.

7. relax!!! first of all RELAX!!!!!

practice hard before you guys play so your comfortable and then when your onstage move much more than you think you are. when you think your moving a lot your not. move even more than that

hahaah then party it up

8. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

Nov 26, 2010
    Sorry, double post:p

9. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

Nov 26, 2010
    Thanks!! Those are all awesome bands!:) and our singer is the drummer so it's up to the two guitarists and I (one gui**** sings backup) to engage the crowd. I have the basslines pretty much down to muscle memory, and dont have to sing, so I can move around a lot!:D

And our sound is kinda a mix between green day, guster, and cage the elephant. So more of a modern sound.

10. excellent, congrats on your first paying gig.

Can you describe your gear in a little detail? That would help me make suggestions that you may or may not want to hear. :bassist:

11. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

Nov 26, 2010
    Scecter stiletto extreme-4 and acoustic B200 combo amp. Livewire cables, no pedals. The bass is trans red and I have a black/ white checkered strap. If I'm able to borrow a bass to have as a backup it'll be a black/ white squier P. oh and I'll be wearing yellow boxers under cutoff jeans. If you want more details you'll have to buy me dinner;)

If you want descriptions of the guitarists rigs, please specify, because I don't wanna type a whole lot of needless info:p

12. nice rig. Bring an extra instrument cord. Is there a "front of the house" (master PA) and are you going into it? I can't tell if there is an XLR out on the Acoustic or if you're playing with a PA.

Other than the gear - my advice is to turn up pretty loud. If the bass doesn't get at least a couple of loudness complaints, it's not turned up loud enough. :bassist:

13. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    How big is the venue? Combos are ok but might be small for the venue. I love my 6x10 because even if the venue is smaller you have lots of head room incase there's no pa support.

14. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

Nov 26, 2010
    There is a PA and my rig has an XLR out in the back. And it's pretty loud without PA support, I used it in pep band last basketball season and it could be heard over an entire marching band, a guitarist and a drumset. So I'm not too worried since the venue is a small-ish all ages dance club anyways.

and I always play pretty loud haha. I got my first volume complaint in practice last week:p

15. Sounds cool. In my band I play bass guitar with no FOH support, so just turn up until you get complaints. And then keep it at that level. When I play upright with the band I go FOH through the XLR output, but it doesn't sound like that's an issue for you. Maybe when you're a geezer like me. :cool:

Rock on brother! :bassist:

16. skychief

skychief

Apr 27, 2011
    South Bay
    congrats on your 1st gig. Bringing a backup axe not a bad idea...i had a output jack go south on me during a gig, luckily the guitarist managed a quick fix in the parking lot. Now, i always keep a backup bass...