First Pedal In Years.. Bass Soul Food or Bearfoot Blueberry?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Ginsly, Aug 21, 2017.

1. Ginsly

Ginsly

Apr 1, 2010
    I realize they're possibly in different leagues, but I'm ready for a light bass OD, and these are the big contenders. Sure, everything depends on rig, style, etc, but.. In your opinion, is the Bearfoot Blueberry the one to go for? It's over twice what the Bass Soul Food is, and after reading posts I'm still very torn. I'll likely use it for guitar OD too, and it seems like both can excel at that too. 1000th post like this I'm sure, but I could use some general input. I'm not an ultra-picky gearhead, but this is my first bass pedal purchase in years and I figured I'd ask those who know! Thanks much. I'm using a passive Jazz into an Orange Terror, but I'll honestly use this for (eek) direct recording a lot in the beginning.

2. GMC

GMC

Jan 1, 2006
    Wiltshire, UK
    It kind of depends how light you want your overdrive to be? For me that's a Fairfield Barbershop, very light and transparent. The Wampler Ecstasy / Euphoria has a three way switch and one of them makes the pedal a clean boost and the middle setting is very very light and transparent OD...plus it's great on bass and guitar (although it needs different settings). The glorious Timmy Overdrive is great on bass and guitar...although the tone controls are more useful on guitar than bass.

Waltsdog and johnk_10 like this.
  3. You're gonna get a ton of opinions on this.

Not tried that Blueberry, but I despised the Bass Soul Food.

There are few pedals of that variety that get a lot of love on here.
    +Fairfield Barbershop
    +SolidGoldFX BETA
    +Creation Audio Grizzly
    +Damnation MBD1 (technically a distortion, but does slight breakup well)
    +Darkglass VMT
    + DOD 250 (a sleeper IMHO)
    +Way Huge Pork Loin
    +Tech21 VT Bass

...there are more as well that other will chime in with, but that's a good start.

gregmon79 and chris merrill like this.
  4. Edmang

Edmang Supporting Member

Jun 29, 2013
    MA
    What I would do....

Grab a Bass Soul Food used. Not a heck of a lot of money. At least one is in the classifieds now. See if you like it. If not, should be able to flip it and move onto something else.

wmmj, HolmeBass and azapistagyerek like this.
  5. Ginsly

Ginsly

Apr 1, 2010
    Thanks everybody, good input! Systolic, what didn't you like about the Bass Soul Food?

6. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    Earth
    I also despised it. I just could not get a good sound out if it, it went back in its box and back up for sale in record time! It think it would sound pretty brittle/harsh recorded direct too.

Love my Blueberry! Never tried it on guitar though, but it might be a bit on the dark side, it's not the brightest sounding overdrive out there.

If you want a great cheap pedal that works well on bass and guitar, check out the Joyo Orange Juice. It's actually an amp sim so will sound great going direct too.

7. i bought the bass soul food recently. i like it. you might not get an extremely harsh od tone from it.

8. Pacodelivery

Pacodelivery Supporting Member

May 25, 2014
    Baltimore
    The blueberry is great, I think there's a pretty low chance of you not liking it. I'd say to not bother with the soul food

9. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Replaced all the above with a Creation Audio Grizzly. The built in low pass filter puts it over the top for me.

I didn't care for the Soul Food either, nor the Mud Berry....I MEAN Blue Berry. Or the Fartbershop I MEAN Barbershop! Man I'm messing everything up tonight!

Beta is good but very dark.
    Pork Loin is good but very physically large.
    Darkglass anything is fantastic if that's the tone you're after.

JulienP., birminghambass and Fuzzbass like this.
  10. Johnny Mac

Johnny Mac Riff-finder General Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2005
    Springfield, MA
    The Creation Audio Grizzly is a winner for me too, though I'll say that the pedal it replaced (a Broughton Azure Drive) is based on the Blueberry Circuit and sounds really good. I've never played the Blueberry proper, but there's a reason a lot of people love it.

Can't say I've used the Bass Soul Food either, but EHX's build quality has a bad rep lately. I'd rather spend money on something reliable.

11. BassWaffle

BassWaffle

Apr 10, 2011
    DC/Maryland
    I have a Fairfield Accountant compressor enganged at all times, adds a bit of warmth to the sound, something a bit shy of break up. For light OD as an affect I use a Fuzzrocious Cat Tail and sometimes a diy-clone of a Zvex Distortron. Both are way more suited to heavy distortion but I like the way they sound at low gain as well.
    The Bass Soul Food seems rather mediocre. Without getting into the large amount of awesome/popular OD pedals that other people are bound to mention, I think there are better options at that price range, like the DOD 250. Every time ive tried one ive loved it

12. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Overdrives are a very individual thing. Your bass, your rig, your tastes, and your playing style will all be part of determining what you like.

If I'm not mistaken I sold @mmbongo his Grizzly Bass and I've owned it and the very similar Holy Fire. Great dirt pedal but I personally preferred other pedals including the Blueberry (especially when run into an Submarine preamp set to cut some mids).

Different strokes.

birminghambass likes this.
  13. Ginsly

Ginsly

Apr 1, 2010
    Yep, there are so many variables that might change one's experience with any of these, but still.. This is helpful. I'm not lookin to spend much over $150 new or used, so pedals like the Grizzly or Microtubes are kinda out of reach. It also sounds like the Bass Soul Food might not be the answer- I really didn't expect so many bad reviews! Ha..

Don't know if this is unpopular, but I also need the option of using a battery.. I actually have an Xotic Bass RC, and it can get kinda hairy but it's more of a clean boost. The Barbershop is tempting (although no battery option), but the Bearfoot Blueberry sounds like it's worked for a lot of you. Getting closer to an answer, thanks everyone!

14. Grahams Groove

Grahams Groove If it feels heavy, it's heavy. Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Boulder, CO
    Systolic's list is a pretty solid reference point.

I've owned the beta, barbershop, and ultimately landed on the grizzly bass. If you're also using it for guitar, I think the Blueberry or Barbershop is the way to go at that $125-150 range. The beta will add a lot of low end and a bit of mud that may be problematic on guitar. BB and Bshop seemed more transparent to me...

15. howlin

howlin

Nov 15, 2008
    I'm Not There
    Bass Soul Food was a BIG disappointment IMHE. Guess I just don't get along with EHX products as this wasn't the first time I couldn't find a reason to like what they made. YMMV . . . .

16. bertbassplayer

bertbassplayer Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2000
    Carlsbad, NM
    I've owned a number of EHX products over time, so I don't have an anti-EHX bias. However, the Bass Soul Food was just... meh. I feel like it really didn't do a whole lot. Also I have a regular soul food that hasn't gotten a whole ton of use because it is on my small guitar board, but it is really starting to junk out on me. So with the combination of the two, I don't know how much longer EHX will stay in my positive category.

17. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

Feb 22, 2013
    Bangkok
    I tried a Bass Soul Food in a music shop and had a hard time telling if it was on or not. Very mild overdrive, indeed.

18. I find this to be a pretty good representation of the Blueberry. I've had it now for a few years and am still happy with it. It does a great job at mildly driven tones (IMO), I don't really like it that much with the 'drive' beyond 10 o'clock though.

Fuzzbass likes this.
  19. Wfrance3

Wfrance3 Supporting Member

May 29, 2014
    Tulsa, OK
    They make a modified Bass Soul Food. If you do grab a used one and almost like it, JHS and a couple others make an upgrade that may be more to your liking.

20. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    I have the bass soul food, and I quite like it, even with its idiosyncracies.

Yes, it is a subtle pedal (why they put a pad switch on it is anyone's guess). When I tried it in the shop, it didn't seem to do a lot, but I was convinced my rather hot Yamaha Attitude pickups would coax more drive out it when I got it home and I was correct. Give it a hot signal and it works much better. Creamy, tubey and warm with little colouration. A nice compliment to my EBS Billy Sheehan pedal that's rather more mid heavy.

That said, getting it dialed in just right takes a bit of patience. Although it features a clean blend to retain low end, in practice, it takes a little more careful juggling of all parameters to avoid low-end loss. And remember, what sounds fine on its own can sound different when the whole band starts playing.

wmmj, crapusername and BrentSimons like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 29, 2021